In using Insert F 7, why can't we use Save Target As?

  • From: Edward Marquette <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:11:46 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I've been following this thread and the implied or expressed criticism of
Freedom Scientific for not building in a certain feature.
I am not necessarily going to defend Freedom Scientific, but I would like to
point out a difference in philosophy.
That difference in philosophy is what makes JAWS and WindowEyes different.
Let's take the "save target as" function as an example.  WindowEyes happens to
have this feature coded in.  Of course if it isn't coded in, you are stuck.  It
took WindowEyes years and years to support the most popular word processer in
history.  Why?  Philosophy.
Doug wanted to stick to active accessability.
JAWS, by contrast, is willing to go behind what sighted programmers seem to
think we need by enabling JAWS itself to be extend by scripts.
Let's tke the "download target" as an example.
How hard would it be for those of you who just have to have it to write a
script which, when on the "move to link" option, presses the space bar, routs
the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor (actually, the virtual cursor), and clicks the
right mouse button?
That is the sequence of keystrokes needed.
I am not much of a script writer, but I'll bet I could write it in 5 minutes.
With JAWS, I control my own destiny.  I kind of like that.
In WindowEyes, I actually wrote VB code to use WindowEyes with tables in Word.
That was a pain.
So pick your poisin.