Re: IE 7 and tabs

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:38:36 -0800

Thanks.  That was my impression.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lora" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 5:28 PM
Subject: RE: IE 7 and tabs

If you do a Control+N in IE 7.0, it will start a new instance of the
browser.  This is true for IE 6.0 as well.  When you do control+N, it tells
IE to start up a second session, so you can open a new page.

IE 7.0's tabs prevent the necessity for this, but you can still use
Control+N, if you really do want your pages in separate windows.

    From: Lora

    Hi Rose,

    OK, open Internet Explorer.

    Choose your first page in whatever way you want.  If you wish, for
simplicity's sake, use Control+O to bring up a dialog box, and enter
www.freedomscientific.com.  Press enter.  This should load the FS web page.

    Browse through that page to make certain you're comfortable with it.

    Now, let's say you want to open another page.  Press Control+T.  This
starts a new tab.
    Type in www.bookshare.org.  Press enter.  Now you'll be placed in the
Bookshare page.  Browse around it a bit.

    Now you want to return to the Freedom Scientific page.  Press
Control+Tab.  Now you're back on the Freedom Scientific page.  JAWS will
tell you this, but if you're ever uncertain what page you're on, press
Insert+T to read the toolbar.

    But you can have more tabs open.  Do the following:

    Press Control+T again.  Enter www.amazon.com and press enter.  Now the
Amazon page loads.

    Press control+T again.  Type www.jfwlite.com.  Press enter.  Now that
page loads.  Each of these pages is in its own tab.  Think of them as tabs
in a notebook.  Control+Tab will let you move forward through the tabs.
Control+Shift+Tab will move you backward through the tabs.

    Control+Shift+Q will bring up a list of all your open tabs.  Arrow down
through the list to see what sites you have open.  When you find the page
you want, you can just press enter to bring up that page.

    If you ever want to close a tab, but not all of your tabs, just press
Control+W or Control+F4 while on the page you want to close.

    To close Internet Explorer, and all tabs you have open, press Alt+F4.
Internet Explorer will ask if you want to close all tabs.  Just press enter
to say Yes.

    I hope this helps.