How to Safely upgrade to Service Pack 2--we should have this earlier

  • From: <ptusing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:30:42 -0500

              TOURBUS Volume 10, Number 53 -- 06 Mar 2005
                 Tourbus Home - http://www.TOURBUS.com
              Tourbus Forums - http://forums.TOURBUS.com
  [ For best results view this with a monospace font like Courier. ]

    Today's Tourbus Topics: How to safely upgrade to Windows XP SP2

 +------------------ CAN YOU PASS THIS MONEY TEST? -------------------+
   Do you know that trying to pay off your high interest rate

 The deadline for upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 2 is *rapidly*
 approaching.  So, I thought it would be a good idea to take another
 look at how to safely make the upgrade so that you computer doesn't
 fall down and go "BOOM!"

 By the way, an abbreviated, HTML-ified version of today's post is
 available at

     http://www.netsquirrel.com/articles/xpsp2.html

 and you are more than welcome to forward either that link or today's
 Tourbus post to whomever you think it may help.

 On with the show...

 How to safely upgrade to Windows XP SP2
 Audience: Every XP user who hasn't yet upgraded to Window XP SP2

 If you have Windows XP Home or Professional Editions, I have a favor
 to ask of you.  In XP, go to Start  Run.  Type in the word

     winver

 and then press the enter key on your keyboard.  This opens something
 called "About Windows" that tells you exactly what version of Windows
 you are running.  For example, on my desktop, my "About Windows"
 screen shows the following:

     Microsoft (R) Windows
     Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp2... : Service Pack 1)
     Copyright (C) 1981-2001 Microsoft Corporation

 I want you to pay particular attention to the end of the second line
 of text on your "About Windows" screen.  If you see the words "Service
 Pack 2," stop reading.  Your version of Windows has already been
 updated to Windows XP Service Pack 2 [SP2].  There is nothing else you
 need to do...except, possibly, running Windows Update [in Internet
 Explorer, go to Tools  Windows Update] just to make sure your
 computer isn't missing any critical updates released over the past
 couple of weeks.

 +-----------------------* * *  ZipBackup * * *----------------------+
  As a Tourbus reader, you know you need to be careful about viruses
  and other nasties, but being careful is not enough!  ZipBackup's
  Wizard makes backing up to CDs or DVDs a snap for beginners and
  ZipBackup is a powerful tool for experts.  Download ZipBackup and
  try it for free.  You won't want to use a computer without it.
  Get 25% off the ZipBackup regular price at
                          http://www.zipbackup.com/partners/tourbus

 However, if the second line of text on your "About Windows" screen
 *DOESN'T* end with the exact words "Service Pack 2," your life just
 got a little more complicated.

 When Windows XP SP2 was released last August, a lot of respected tech
 gurus [and some not-so-respected tech guru wannabees like myself]
 strongly recommended NOT upgrading for a while.  In fact, I wrote a
 Tourbus post last August showing you how to download and install a
 free Windows XP SP2 blocker program to prevent Microsoft from
 automatically installing SP onto your computer.

 Well, that blocker expires on Tuesday, April 12th.  After that date,
 you're getting Service Pack 2 whether you like it or not.  If you have
 Windows Update set to automatically check for and install any critical
 updates, Microsoft will automatically install XP SP2 onto your
 computer sometime after April 12th.  And even if you don't use Windows
 Update's auto 'call home and download' feature, after April 12th
 Windows Update will stop working until you download XP SP2.  [Updates
 will still be available, but Microsoft won't let you get them until
 you first download and install Service Pack 2.]  April 12th is pretty
 much the drop-dead date for Windows XP Service Pack 2 deployment.

 And, honestly, that's not a bad thing.  While I've yet to upgrade my
 desktop, my laptop has been running Windows XP SP2 since November with
 nary a problem.  And I'm not alone.  Millions of people have safely
 made the jump to SP2.  And XP SP2's built-in security features are so
 beneficial that there's honestly no legitimate reason for you NOT to
 upgrade to Service Pack 2.

 Reread that last sentence: There's honestly no legitimate reason for
 you NOT to upgrade to Service Pack 2.  Your XP computer NEEDS this
 upgrade.  The real question is whether you want Microsoft to install
 it for you or if you want to install it yourself.  Well, the next six
 words are the most important six words in this entire post:

     ***YOU WANT TO INSTALL IT YOURSELF!***

 There are 12 things you need to do in order to ensure that your
 computer's upgrade goes as smoothly as possible.  The only way you
 can guarantee that all 12 of these steps are followed, in order,
 is if you do it yourself.  And that's why I sending you this post a
 full month before Microsoft starts automatically pushing XP Service
 Pack 2 to your computer.

 1. Get a copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2 on a CD-ROM

 Trust me on this one, folks: XP SP2 is so large that you don't want to
 try to download it over even the fastest Internet connection.
 Besides, when your computer crashes sometime in the future and you
 have to reinstall Windows, having XP SP2 on CD-ROM will speed your
 recovery process.

 How can you get XP SP2 on CD-ROM?  Well, chances are one of your
 friends or co-workers already has a spare XP SP2 upgrade CD lying
 around.  All you need to do is ask to borrow it.  If that doesn't
 work, go to the computer section of your nearest big box retailer and
 ask for a free copy.  Microsoft shipped massive amounts of free XP SP2
 CD-ROMs to Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot, and places like that.
 Again, all you have to do is ask.

 If you still can't find a copy of XP SP2 or, even worse, if your local
 tech store tries to sell it to you [something that happened to at
 least one Best Buy customer in Chicago late last year], hop on over to

     http://tinyurl.com/6g675

 This page lets you order the XP SP2 CD-ROM directly from Microsoft.
 Free.

 2. Once you have the XP SP2 CD-ROM, scan your computer for viruses

 Personal experience shows that unwanted stuff on your computer like
 viruses or spyware [see step 3] can wreck havoc on ANY software
 installation, especially a major operating system upgrade.  And while
 you may think your current antivirus software is doing a good job of
 scanning your computer for and protecting your computer from viruses,
 over 60% of broadband users aren't running the latest version of their
 antivirus program. [Source:
 http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/security?
 c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs]

 So, just to be extra safe, before you even THINK about putting that XP
 SP2 CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive, let's have Symantec scan your PC
 for viruses online.  Open Internet Explorer and go to

     http://www.symantec.com/cgi-bin/securitycheck.cgi.

 [Unfortunately, Symantec's free online virus checker only works in
 Internet Explorer.]  When the page loads, click on the orange Go
 button.  This opens a pop-up window.  Click on the red Start button
 under Virus Detection to start the virus scan.  You'll be asked if you
 want to install and run three small plug-ins.  Click Yes all three
 times.

 The scan will take a while, but it is well worth the wait.  If
 Symantec says your virus status is safe, continue on to step three.
 But, if Symantec finds a problem, expect to spend a lot of time at

     http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/index.html

 downloading the appropriate removal tools.

 3. Scan your computer for spyware and other malware

 Spyware seems to be the number one cause of problems when upgrading to
 XP SP2.  So, in addition to scanning your computer for viruses, you
 also need to scan it for spyware.  But you need to make sure you are
 using the latest version of your antispyware program when you do this.

 How?  Well, in Spybot Search & Destroy, go to Help  About.  There
 you'll see the version number.  The latest version of Spybot is 1.3.
 If you have an older version, head on over to

 and download the latest version.

 If you have AdAware, look in the bottom right corner of the AdAware
 screen.  If you don't see "AdAware SE Personal, Build 1.05," you don't
 have the latest version and you'll need to download a new copy at

     http://tinyurl.com/5kgsl

 Once you have the latest version of your antispyware program, check
 for updates and then scan your computer.  If you find any spyware,
 nuke it.

 --------------------------------
 4. Update your software firewall
 --------------------------------

 If you are running a software firewall like ZoneAlarm or Sygate
 Personal Firewall, you may need to update your software firewall so
 that it will fully work with Windows XP SP2.  This usually involves
 downloading a simple patch that you can get from your software
 firewall's manufacturer's website.

 5. Get the latest PC manufacturer updates for your computer

 If you have a name-brand computer, check the manufacturer's web site
 and download any software or driver updates they recommend.  For
 example, Dell recommends that its users update their BIOS before
 upgrading to XP SP2.

 For a list of the XP SP2 upgrade sites for most of the major PC
 manufacturers, check out

     http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/oemlinks.mspx

 If you can't find your computer manufacturer's web site, call the
 company or store that sold you your computer and ask them if they know
 of any issues with upgrading your make and model of computer to XP
 SP2.  By waiting to install XP SP2 until today, you've given the folks
 in tech support enough time to figure out what computers upgrade well
 and what computers have issues.

 Sloth pays.

 6. Backup any files you cannot live without

 If media and blog reports are any indication, you should be able to
 upgrade to XP SP2 without any major problems.  But sometimes things go
 awry. That's life.

 Just to be extra safe, make sure to copy ALL of the important stuff on
 your computer to a CD-ROM, DVD, thumb drive, external hard drive, or
 whatever.  You can never have too many backups.

 In particular, make sure to backup your:

     - Bank records and other financial information
     - Digital photographs
     - Software you purchased and downloaded from the Internet
     - Software you didn't purchase but still download
     - Your illegal MP3s and legal iTunes files
     - Personal projects and other "My Documents" stuff
     - Your e-mail address book and calendar
     - Your enemies list
     - Your browser's bookmarks or favorites list

 Again, you'll probably not need this backup.  But you can never be too
 safe.

 ------------------------------
 7. Make a system restore point
 ------------------------------

 Yeah, I know.  The XP SP2 installer does this for you automatically.
 Do it by hand just in case.

     - Go to Start  All Programs  Accessories  System Tools
       System Restore.

     - Choose Create a restore point.

     - Click Next.

     - In the Restore Point Description box, type something long and
       descriptive [like "6 March 2005 - Before I installed XP SP2"]

     - Click Create.

     - Once the restore point has been created, click Close.

 ----------
 8. Restart
 ----------

 No, I don't mean go back to step one.  I mean restart your computer.
 It's usually a good idea to flush the decks, so to speak, before you
 install any major program or operating system upgrade on your
 computer.

 Wait at least five minutes after you restart your computer before you
 proceed.  That just gives all of those icons down in your task bar
 plenty of time to load and call home for updates.

 You might also want to disable your antivirus program, but that's
 completely up to you. [I accidentally installed XP SP2 without first
 turning off my antivirus and nothing bad happ&%$()**NO CARRIER**]

 --------------------
 9. Find a local guru
 --------------------

 Step nine is probably the hardest step of them all.

 If you follow steps one through eight, step nine is probably
 completely unnecessary.  But, sometimes bad things happen to good
 people.  And sometimes, although not often, XP SP2 installations go
 horribly awry.  If that happens, you're going to want to talk to
 someone who can help you un-kludge your computer.

 You are always welcome to send me email asking for assistance, but I
 have to warn you that I get so much email that it is almost impossible
 for me to keep up.  I wish I was kidding, but it's now March 6, 2005,
 and I am currently working on answering the emails sent to me during
 the week of February 7th...FOUR weeks ago!  If your computer goes
 kersplat during the XP SP2 installation process, you're probably going
 to want to speak to someone who can help you fix your computer in
 minutes not weeks.  Hence my recommendation that you find a local guru
 who can help you if anything goes awry.

 Again, if you follow steps one through eight, finding a local guru is
 probably completely unnecessary. But, as I have said throughout
 today's post, you can never be too safe.

 ------------------
 10. Install XP SP2
 ------------------

 You've prepped your system.  You found a local guru who can help you
 if things go wrong.  Now it's time to install XP SP2.  Pop the CD-ROM
 into your CD-ROM drive and follow the on-screen prompts.

 That's it.

 No, really. That's it. Pretty anticlimactic, isn't it?

 Once the upgrade is done, you'll be asked to restart your computer.

 Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows XP Service Pack 2.

 ----------------------
 11. Run Windows Update
 ----------------------

 After you have successfully installed XP SP2, immediately run Windows
 Update.  There have been more than a few critical updates released
 since your XP SP2 disc was pressed, and you need to download those
 updates to ensure your computer is fully protected from the internet
 nasties.

 ----------------
 12. Tweak XP SP2
 ----------------

 Finally, after you've installed XP SP2 and run Windows Update, point
 your favorite web browser to

     http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2installed

 This page contains dozens of handouts and videos covering topics such
 as configuring Internet Explorer's new pop-up blocker, using the new
 Windows Security Center, and so on.  Plan on spending a little time
 here getting acquainted with the new security features in XP SP2.

 ----------------------
 Troubleshooting XP SP2
 ----------------------

 What if the XP SP2 installation doesn't go so smoothly on your
 computer?  As I hinted at earlier, that's what the local guru is for.

 But, if you want to try to fix things yourself, check out

     http://support.microsoft.com/xpsp2getinstall

 This page has links to some of the more popular Microsoft Knowledge
 Base articles to help you diagnose and fix the most common XP SP2
 setup and installation issues.  If that doesn't help, try a Google
 search.  Chances are you aren't the first person to have this problem.

 And, if push comes to shove, you can always uninstall XP SP2 and roll
 back your system to that restore point you created back in step seven.
 You can find the instructions on how to do this at

     http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355

 I hope this helps!  That's it for today.  Have a safe and happy week,
 and we'll talk again soon.

 =====================[ Tourbus Rider Information ]===================
    The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN #1094-2238
      Copyright 1995-2005, Rankin & Crispen - All rights reserved

    Tourbus News Service - http://tourbus.com/news.html The Best of
               Everything - http://tourbus.com/best.html

   Subscribe, Signoff, Archives, Free Stuff and More at the Tourbus
                   Website - http://www.TOURBUS.com