Re: Have enough Sight to use Vista? - : I would go with XP - OS question

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:18:55 -0800

Thanks very much. I'll keep all this in mind. I've been using personal
computers since the early 80s and of course have seen many changes, not
least of which has been the non-computer eevolution-related steady
deterioration of my vision the past 15  years or so. Which is where we're
coming from when we're talking about this. I have no central vision, in
fact, so I'm blinder than you may be in the situation your describing, if
you appreciate that loss of central cone photoreceptor cells means loss of
the visual acuity that permits one to see detail. If I were to magnify my
screen enough to see anything I could even recognize as an individual thing,
like a letter or an icon, it would have to fill the screen all by itself.
That's when I moved to Jaws ten years ago. My bit of far peripheral vision
is helpful for just getting around without bumping into things, but not for
reading print out of the corner of my eye or seeing peoples' faces. So I'm
doing well enough with Jaws and win XP for now, and I'll be curious to see
what comes next in the OS department.

Thanks again for explaining.

I do hear that Microsoft is plahning to put out an operating system to
supplant Vista in the near future, so I'm curious to so ohere wfufteeb