HappyScript: ScanSelectedMessage for OE

  • From: "Bryan Garaventa" <bc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:10:24 -0700

This is a JAWS script that should work on pretty much any version, and is
made for Outlook Express 5 or 6.

Someone once said to me, "A good programmer suffers from an inherent lazy
streak"... Which I took to mean that they dislike performing the same action
over and over again, when it would be much easier for the computer to simply
do it for them!

This may sound petty, but I really dislike having to hit Tab and shift+tab
every time I
want to browse the messages in my inbox. Wouldn't it be much better to
simply hit a keystroke after highlighting the message you want to scan using
the up/down keys, and have the window speak it's message crisply and
immediately without moving the cursor? Well, I thought so, so I wrote this
script to do it.

It's very simple to install, Just do the following
Copy all of the code at the bottom of this message to the clipboard
If you are running Outlook Express, press Insert+0 to open the script
manager
Go to the end of the file, press enter a few times, and paste the code into
the file
Navigate towards the middle of the script using the up/down arrow keys, and
press Control+D
If "Can Be Attached To Key" is not checked, check it
enter whatever hotkey you would like to use to scan your messages. (I use
the ` (grave-accent) key myself)
Press OK
Press Control+S to compile the script, and close the file
That should do it.

Important note:
This script isn't meant to read the entire message, only the visible text in
the message window. Maximize Outlook Express to optimize the functionality.

I hope people find this useful.

Best wishes,

Bryan Garaventa
http://gutterstar.net/

;Beginning of script code

Script ScanSelectedMessage ()

;Variables to hold the message text and window handle

var string mWin,

handle mHwnd

;If statement to verify the correct window

if GetWindowSubtypeCode (GetFocus ()) ==

wt_listview &&

GetWindowClass (GetParent (GetFocus ())) ==

"Outlook Express Message List" then

;Assign window handle

let mHwnd =

GetFirstChild (GetFirstChild (GetNextWindow (GetParent (GetFocus ()))))

;Assign window text

let mWin =

GetWindowText (mHwnd, false)

;Speak window text

Say (mWin, 0)

;End process

Return

endif

;Continuation if conditions aren't met above

SayCurrentScriptKeyLabel ()

TypeCurrentScriptKey ()

EndScript

;End of Script code