Re: Full version of Daisy Reader?

  • From: Bill <bill.cam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:31:54 -0500

bruce seeing as how freedom scientific says its maid by a canadian company
probly identical features to victor soft.

my guess is that you get the benefit of being a littlemore jfw oriented layout.

still its a little pricy in my view, and if their is a 25 dollar discount
for advance purchase the sales lady at f s never said anything to me about it.
i called them on friday.
the 25 discount would make it more reasonable.

not saying their is not, because its not uncommon to find some are unaware
of stuff at f s.

also if you  join book share you get a reader for free plus a year
subscription to 60,000 books for the same amount of money.
that to me would seem to be the better deal.

something many do not understand is that daisy is really composed of 2 formats.

text and audio.
both have indexing and book mark features for quick access to differant
parts of the book.

the book share reader is aimed at text.

differance being one produces audio from text via synthasized speech and
the other is real human speech.

when you look at these readers be sure they can do the format you desire.

neither of the victor soft products has the feature i would like to see,
that being the ability to highlight text in the same fashion as a sighted
person does so one can then reread only the highlighted text.
or i should say it was lacking this last time i looked into it, its
possible it may have changed.

one of the competitors does have this feature, irti,  but think its
limitted to an audio only version.
i also have to wonder if this feature is present in the package rfb and d
sells for irti.
when i looked into the irti product it was in beta.

highlighting obviously requires memory and so hence do not ever look for a
feature like that on the stand alone hardware readers, but it should be
easy to do on a software version.
your harddrive space can substitute for memory.

bill