Re: Freedom Box, a personal reaction

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:41:48 -0700

Darryl,

Fine. I'm not expressing any opinion about Freedom Scientifics' motivation,
or legal strategy, or anything. I did say I wasn't at all surprised to learn
that FS had been pressuring this company and had finally gotten around to
suing them, but that was not to say I feel I have a dog in this fight. I
didn't write what I wrote in order to either justify FS or denounce it. Hope
that's more clear. It was just a personal observation, apart from these
arguments.

As for the dramatic money demands in the FS complaint, I don't know how
better to say this than I already have. A civil lawsuit like this is, and I
am not saying this cynically, not only a search for some truth, that is if
it goes to court, but it's also a sort of contest, a kind of bargaining
ritual, complete with a traditional array of threats, and feints, and
bobbing and weaving, and all that goes way back to the days when
disagreements were settled by actual physical combat hundreds of years ago
in England, and to oversimplify the history (I say this so as not to irk
Adrian by doing so) , it was out of dissatisfaction with such trials of
combat that the roots of English common law, from which our American civil
law is mostly derived, that adversarial legal actions like this evolved.
Though it's not a game in the silly sense, it is certainly a gamelike
ritual, and all these threats and demands, however passionately they may be
presented in the complaint, are as much chips tossed onto the pile on the
table as anything else. Not that FS would simply return the huge money
awards if granted them by a trial decision, but they aren't very likely
actually expecting all that, either. I wouldn't take it quite that seriously
or literally.
thanks.