Re: Flash & JFW 7: was: JAWS issue/bug

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 07:30:03 -0800

Alan,

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me as if you may be confusing the functions
of Jaws with the functions of your browser.  When you set Jaws to ignore
Flash, you aren't instructing Windows or your browser in any way at all.  In
other words, you're not preventing Flash displays from loading with a Web
page and displaying.  All you're doing is setting Jaws to ignore (skip over)
such displays.  So that won't speed up anything as you may be imagining.  It
will just keep your virtual cursor from getting hung up in the Flash
display, trapped there while you wait for the little movie or whatever to
finish so that the Flash display will disappear and leave the page
accessible again.

I think it's extremely important to be able to distinguish between what's a
jaws function and what's a regular computer function.  I'm not presuming you
aren't clear about this, but I have to at least suggest it, because on this
list I've seen several people confuse, say, a Word setting or function with
Jaws, and this makes it harder than necessary for them to solve a problem
until they get clear about which application is doing what.

So forgive me if I'm not understanding where you're at about this.  Thanks.
By the way, I had problems like what you're describing in Jaws 4.5, and am
not at all sure that there's really a "bug" in Jaws 7 in this regard.  Don't
forget, if Flash is installed and a Flash display is set to load with a Web
page, Jaws is not stopping that no matter how you've set the Configuration
manager. You just got jaws to ignore the display once it's loaded, not
prevent its loading.  Those are two different things.