Re: Filing Taxes On Line

  • From: "Vicky Collins" <v-collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 18:23:52 -0500

Hi Mike,

Well, truthfully, I haven't checked out the IRS free file offerings for any
of the specific preparers.  Although, I do know that each may have their own
terms and conditions and the like.

As for the 2006 TaxAct and scripts, there aren't any scripts specific to
2006.  I'm thinking the latest scripts were done for the 2002 tax year.

But, I'm thinking that, for the 2004 tax year, FS went in and renamed the
2002 scripts, and then they worked reasonably well for doing the 2004 taxes.
Now, similarly, one may rename the 2004 TaxAct scripts to 2006, and they
once again work reasonably well.  Happily, my federal and state taxes were
both filed electronically, and the refunds will be directly deposited this
week.

On my machine, here is where I found the 2004 TaxAct scripts.  And when I
found them, I renamed them to 2006:

c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\freedom
scientific\jaws\8.0\settings\enu.

Now, in that enu folder, there should be ten files starting with TaxAct04,
and then having various Jaws script extensions.  Just rename all ten of
those files to TaxAct06 with their same extensions, and then the TaxAct 2006
program should work for you.

Now, there may be an easier way to get to this info, but I just haven't
taken the time to look for that way.  Then, too, you will need to make sure
that you are able to view hidden and system files to get to these files.
Vicky Collins
v-collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx