Re: FS Reader Demo

  • From: "Robert Hebert" <roberthebert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:21:12 -0800

When you install jaws 6.0 on your machine you must use the advanced feature in
order to get the Daisy files transferred onto your FS Reader directory.
A guided install will put the training materials on your machine in MP-3 format
and HTML format so you can read them as text or as mp-3 files using your
favourite audio player but the FS Reader will not access them unless you use
the
advance install feature.
With the FS Reader you will have all the Daisy navigational features. You will
also have speech compression--increasing speech rate without changing the pitch
plus the ability to pause, bookmark, alt-tab out of the program and practice
any
training features you are reviewing. There is some flexibility using winamp for
strictly the MP-3 formats but this is limited and much more awkward than using
the FS Daisy Reader. There is even speech compression in Winamp using the
pacemaker plugin and while this will allow you to increase rate, the pitch is
changed proportionately. The FS Reader is supposed to maintain voice pitch as
speech rate increases but it does a very poor job in this regard and in my
opinion is not really much better than the Winamp pacemaker plugin. Some Daisy
readers such as Victor-soft have a very excellent speech compression feature
that allows you to crank speech up to 4 or 500 words per minute without almost
no noticeable change in pitch.