Excel Column and Row Headings Read with Strange Voice

  • From: "David Weddle" <ddweddle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 10:03:06 -0800

Good Morning:

Using Excel-XP on my home computer running XP-Home with Jaws 7.0, when I
have verbosity set to read column and row headings, as I arrow around a
spreadsheet, the column and row headings read in a very strange, very
low pitch voice which I don't have defined anywhere--not as the default
global or default application specific voice or as any default or
application specific individual voice adjustment (i.e., PC cursor voice,
Jaws cursor voice, keyboard voice, or tutor and message voice).
Although JAWS reads the headings properly, the low pitch voice is very
irritating.

If I drop back to JAWS 6.0, the problem does not exist and column and
row headings are spoken in the voice I want them to.

I don't know if the this problem exists when running XP-Pro, because I
have not yet had JAWS 7.0 installed at work, something one of our
systems administrators has to do.

Has anyone experienced this problem?  If so, have you identified the
cause and found a solution other than dropping back to a previous
version of JAWS?

Thanks for any insights.

Take care...
Dave Weddle