Re: Discussion with Eric Damery

  • From: "Bill Powers" <powersradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "August P. Dinovo" <gusdinovo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:38:40 -0700

Jerry,

You make some very good points that should not be overlooked. GW Micro and
FS both operate with different business philosophies, different people with
their own bents, etc., so even if the competition is only between these two,
we will at some point see a winner when a significant number of consumers
have voiced their approval or disapproval with their wallets.

I do believe that both companies have their good and bad points, but I also
believe that as America and the world gets older and the list of visually
impaired persons increases, there will be yet other young companies who may
have innovative ideas, who will have to by nature be fiercely competetive,
who may just throw both of these "big" companies out of the ring. I
personally hope that FS gets more aggressive and competetive with mareting
their products, as it will benefit them AND us. GW Micro is getting much
public recognition already by udnerwriting DVS for ABC's "Blind Justice",
and that alone should be a wakeup call to FS to get into the public eye and
very soon. To FS's credit, they still have the market lead as far as number
of users, and that can be good or bad, but right now they lead. To keep that
lead, they will need to start thinking more competition. The last thing I
want to see is for them to go the way of TSI!

Again, I believe that we ultimately have the power to decide who survives
and who doesn't, and this is true of just about any field. But we have to
use that voice and demand better products and service. All too often, too
many people simply accept what's handed them as if "that's the best we can
do", but we must decide for ourselves what we want and support those
companies that meet those needs.

OK, enough of being on this soapbox. I trust I've made my point.

Let's resolve to have an active voice, whichever company we decide better
suits our needs.

Bill Powers