Re: Dictionary question

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:33:19 -0800

Judith,
I think we discussed this before.  The Jaws pronunciation dictionary is not
a real dictionary.  It has nothing to do with grading your spelling.  It has
only to do with assigning your desired pronunciation to a particular word
that Jaws is saying in a way you prefer to change.  that's all.  It has
nothing to do with the function of an ordinary dictionary.

Just try it.  With your cursor on "Mrs.," press Insert D to open the
pronunciation dictionary.  Then press control Shift D (you'll hear Jaws
suggest this) to be in the default pronunciation dictionary, so that changes
you make will apply universally, no matter which program you're working in.

Now press on the Add button.  In the dialogue that opens, hear Mrs. spoken
as you've are accustomed to hearing it.  Now tab once to be in the edit
field for the change you want to make to pronunciation of this.  Now type
missus or whatever you think will serve.  Listen to it my pressing the speak
line command (insert 8).  If you like what you hear, tab to hear additional
options, and eventually you'll come to an OK button.  Press that to confirm
the change.

One more thing to do at this point:  Press Control S to save this change.
Now press Alt F4 to exit the pronunciation dictionary.  That's it.

Hope this helps.
hese----- Original Message -----