Dell pc's

  • From: "Reed Poynter" <Reed.Poynter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:13:14 -0800

Howdy,

My employer is going to replace my existing notepad. The hope is that the
replacement will keep me going for the next 2 to 3 years.

The Hardware/Software Procurement person states,

"The current company standard for notebooks is the Dell D600 laptop with the
1.4GHz Centrino mobile technology processor and the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000
graphics chipset."

He goes on to state that,

"Intel has two processors for their laptops, the Mobile Pentium 4 processor and
the Centrino mobile technology processor. It is the Centrino processor that

we are using in our new Dell laptops. According to all the benchmarks I have
reviewed on this, the Centrino processor outperforms the Mobile P4 processor.

For an example, the Centrino 1.7GHz processor is faster than the Mobile 2.6GHz
processor. The Centrino processor also uses less power, therefore; battery

life is 1.25 to 1.5 times longer than with the Mobile P4 processor.".

I'm an old mainframe dog who supports telephone company prebilling applications
running on an IBM mainframe and a few pc Unix based applications coded in JAVA.

Our standard pc configuration makes use of the Office 2000 product.  Word and
Excell are used for creating and maintaining requirements/design/system
documentation.  We use Reflection For IBM (which works very well with JAWS) for
our terminal emulation.  For email, we use Outlook 2000.  Mcafee is the
security software.  All of our human resources/payroll activities, time
reporting, learning etc is performed on the company intranet through a central
LAN  .  The network is also used to push  software upgrades to each of our
pc's.

All of the junk the network guys have running in the background has been
causing my pc to really drag from time to time; preventing me to get real work
done. The hope is that this new notepad will improve the situation and keep me
going for 2 to three years. Hmmm.

I have been asked to advise if this Dell and chipset is compatible with my
voice software.

Do you know of any issues with this 1.4GHz Centrino processor or ATI Mobility
Radeon 9000 graphics chipset?

Would some other DELL notepad configuration work better with JAWS 5.  Will the
machine be fast enough?  Ya, ya, I know...What's fast enough?

Thanks.

Reed