Re: Creating a group in Outlook Express

Hi Bill,

I hope the information below is what you're looking for.

http://www.jaws-users.com/text/email/OutlookExpress/OutlookExpressCreatingAGroupDistributionList.html
How to Create an Address Book Group (Distribution List):

If you regularly send the same message to several people, you may simplify
this task by creating a group. To create a group, perform the following
steps.

1. Open Outlook Express, then tap Alt plus T to open the Tools Menu. Down
Arrow to Address Book and then tap Enter or, use the Outlook Express hot
key,
Control plus shift plus B.
2. Tap Alt plus F to open the Address Book file menu. Down arrow to New
Group and then tap Enter or, use the Outlook Express hot key, control plus
G.
3. Type the name that you want to give to the group.
4. Tab to the Select Members button and press ENTER.
5. Tab 3 times to the list of contacts.
6. Arrow up or down to select the name you want from the list of contacts.
7. Tap tab 3 times to move to the select button and then tap enter, or
simply press ALT-T to add the name to the list.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to add additional names to the group list.
9. When done adding names, press ENTER.
10. Back in the Group property sheet, tab to OK and press ENTER.
11. Press ALT-F then X to close and exit the Address Book. You will now have
an entry for the group in your address book.
12. To send a message to the group, simply use the group name in the to
field. (Or the bcc field if you don't want them to know each other's
addresses.)

To delete an an address from a group.:

1. Press control shift B to open the address book.
2. Tab to the treeview. If you hear main identity closed, press the right
arrow to open it.
3. Arrow down to the name of the group.
4. Tab to the listview of names and while focused on the address, press the
delete key.

To add an address to a group:

1. Press control shift B to open the address book.
2. Tab to the treeview. If you hear main identity closed, press the right
arrow to open it.
3. Arrow down to the name of the group.
4. Press enter on the name of the group.
5. Add another name as before by tabbing to the select members button and
following the rest of the steps above.

There's one item that's extremely important when creating distribution lists
in Outlook Express, and I assume it applies equally to Outlook.

Never enter the complete address of the individual into the distribution
list when you create it. Always create the individual's entry first; then,
when
you go to construct your distribution list, simply select the individuals'
name from the list that's presented. The reason for doing it this way is
that
if an individual's e-mail address changes and you have both a personal
(individual) entry for them and have that person's e-mail address and not
simply
their name in one or more distribution lists, if you update their individual
entry, it won't be updated in the distribution list. On the other hand, if
you've selected a pre-existing Address Book entry for inclusion in the
distribution list, when the individual, pre-existing entry gets updated, so
will
the distribution list. Otherwise, when you send Aunt Mary an individual
e-mail, she'll receive it, but when you send a message to your entire family
and
haven't remembered to update her address in the family distribution list,
she won't receive it.

Hope this has helped.  Take care.
Mike