Coding for quickbooks

  • From: John Martyn <johnrobertmartyn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 03:58:21 -0700

One thing I also might mention is because quickbooks is updated every year; I
would have to make this a lasting project and not let it go stale. Each year
the script will have to change and older scripts might not work with the new
release; so these would not be backwards compatible scripts. It is possible
they could work with older versions; but I can't guarantee the year to year
versions will be the same. I would start with the latest meaning quickbooks
2011. I would keep this project going by possibly charging for the scripts.
Nothing outrageous; just enough to keep development for the future. I don't
know of other possibilities of getting the project funded every year; but
perhaps this is where other organizations will come in. I haven't charged for
scripts before; so this is new to me. This would definitely make for better
support; but the scripts would have to remain closed source unless I sell the
rights to them. I am aware that this might make us run out to get the latest
version; so another charge to make it accessible doesn't seem fair in the
beginning. If I got it funded by kick start; the first year would be free;
while the following years would have a price to them to keep it going since
this is a monster of a program.; Let me know your thoughts on this.; John Martyn