RE: Citrix or Checkpoint VPN Client

  • From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:00:36 -0500

Actually, the philosophy of Citrix and Firebox are directly opposite.
With Citrix, almost all the computing is done remotely.  For sighted users,
"frames" are relayed back and forth, with the computing done largely remotely.
With Firebox, the client is still doing most of the work.  The applications
still reside locally, i.e., MS Office resides on the C drive. Network-type disk
operations, instead of going to a network server, are trapped and piped over
the Internet to a remote server.  That includes even the contact list in
Outlook such that server data (such as internal email addresses at the office)
I would normally get by virtue of being logged-in at the office is piped
through the Internet to my PC.
JAWS resides locally only.  There is no need for a remote installation of JAWS
on a Citrix server.
It is simple and elegant.