RE: Characters in a password field

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 22:12:25 -0400

Hi, Bill.

First, I doubt that's the rationale. As you know, we typically hear the
results of our password keystrokes as X X X. JAWS is merely doing what it
does: echo what's on the screen.

Second, it ought to be for the user, not the website, to determine how to
handle security matters of this kind. One person might wait until they're
alone to do work requiring passwords, another might plug in headphones.

The fact is there are times it would be very helpful to know if we've typed
in a password correctly. I remember trying to help a visually impaired
friend create a password for the NLS BARD website, which is more stringent
than any bank I've ever encountered. Not only does NLS specify the minimum
number of characters and a mix of digits and letters, but it also prohibits
repetition of any character. Between figuring that out, communication
problems and that person's less than admirable typing skills, we took a
whole hour. How I longed that day for character echo!!