Re: Changing punctuation settings

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 03:15:14 -0000

There are two different dialogues for changing how punctuationis spoken.  One
of them is what we may call the individual synthesizer general punctuation
dialogue, got to with Insert-J, and the Voices Submenu, and then tabbing
through either one of the voice adjustment dialogues.  The second is the
Customize Punctuation dialogue, which changes how JAWS treats punctuation with
any and all speech synthehsizers, and this is got to via the configuration
manager, Settings, Options, Customize Punctuation, or alt+s p.  (In order for
changes in the second  dialoguee to work, you must have the punctuation level
set in the first-mentioned  dialogue to Most or to All.  that's the main reason
why your changes, Wendy, didn't work.  Also, to add to the possible
confusion/complexity/perplexity, not of my making, if you choose the 'all'
radiobutton on any of the 44 signs in this second dialogue, it will silence all
instances of that sign.  (If you choose the radiobutton None, it will speak -
unsilence - all instances of it.)  Why would you want to bother with
theCustomize Punctuation dialogue?  First of all, every synthesizer has its own
quirks and these often may include the speaking or not speaking of punctuation
signs, whatever the user settings may tell it.  (There has been a problem
persistent through several versions of JAWS, for example with the apostrophe
always being spoken no matter what the punctuation level in the first dialogue
was set to.  Treatment via the second dialogue is supposed to cure it, and
mostly  does.)  So there you have it.  If you want certain punctuation signs to
be spoken no matter what, or silenced no matter what, the two ways in correct
combination as I have sketched above will make it happen.