Bookshare citizenship requirement? (was Re: bookshare.org)

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:47:02 -0800

Does anyone know the reason for this restriction of American citizenship?
Given the borderless nature of the Internet and Web-based services such as
Bookshare, it would seem natural for there to be unfettered access, so long
as all users paid the required fees and abided by whatever restrictions the
organization mandates. I am just asking. don't have a dog in this fight, if
indeed it's any kind of fight in the first place.  But just wondering. And
does the restriction mean that even a person living as a legal resident here
in the continental U.S., Alaska or Hawaii can't join Bookshare? Do you have
to snail mail photocopies of your citizenship papers when you get them, or a
birth certificate if you're native born?

Again, not trying to argue about it. Just very curious.