Apologies for typographical craziness

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:03:09 -0700

Hi guys,

I just reread the last post I sent (concerning maximizing program windows
and so forth) and found, to my dismay, that although the message itself was
clearly composed and was spell chehcked, I had made what for me is a
frequent and embarrassing mistake by leaving a mess of typographical garbage
beneath it.  I'm sorry.

The way this happens is that I've got a habit of knocking down typos and
other sorts of mistakes as I'm composing a message like this by hitting the
Enter key to get them out of the way so I can continue writing without
running into my corrected mistakes as I go.

So far, so good.  It's far less trouble, when I'm in a hurry, to dispose of
such junk that way rather than find, select and delete every misstyped
letter or word  as I go, and then back up and continue writing.  However,
when I'm done, and spell checking, I tend to just find what I know is the
last line of my message and select to the top before I spell check, in order
to of course not be spell checking the previous message in the thread and so
forth.  But often, I'm so accurate in doing this, that I never hear what may
amount to a couple of lines of typographical nonsense just below that point,
which, to use a sightling expression, is now out of sight and out of mind.
In my case, out of earshot, out of mind; a sighted typist with the same
habits, of course, couldn't help but see that mess needing to be deleted.

So, in my haste, I often forget to down arrow to the end of my finished
message and select and delete all that junk.  And, although I suppose
someone may be amused by it now and then, I'm pretty sure it's mainly a
stone drag, as some of us used to say 'way back when, to have jaws babbling
such GobbleDeegook (an attempt at Jaws-friendly rewriting of "gobbledygook")
when reading through such a message in Say All mode.

So, I'm sorry.  I promise to try to be neater