Re: Any progress on Amazon?

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:10:10 -0500

How we approach access issues is a critical consideration in deciding which technology problems to solve.

It isn't enough that a blind person can do something without sighted assistance. We need to accomplish tasks quickly and efficiently to keep up with sighted colleagues. Today's technology has made us competitive, and we mustn't let that historic development slip away. You cite 25 seconds as the extra time required, but you're not counting the time it takes us in the first place to work out a solution when the answer is intuitive to a sighted viewer. Also, if I'm not mistaken, you're describing a situation where you know what you want. I often use Amazon to figure out the best recording, related books, and so on. If my shopping doesn't start out with a specific target, the new access limitations hinder me. In fact, they've driven me to Barnes and Noble, www.bn.com.

There's no clear legal answer, and a certain case hurts both our positions. But there's an analogy in current developments in environmental law. The U.S. hasn't agreed to be bound by the Kyoto Treaty, but many U.S. corporations, including ones that do little or no business abroad, are upgrading their operations to comply anyway. Market forces and public relations help explain why. Visually impaired people may be a small market, but we're focused and have earned much goodwill. Not charity, but goodwill in the old-fashioned consumer sense.

Besides, FS is under a contractual obligation to make websites accessible to its users. That's because FS has implied a warranty that JAWS is fit for the ordinary purposes for which it is sold and used.

We should continue to expect accessibility from Amazon and other websites and to demand that FS address the deficiency.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Toews" <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>