Re: Anti Virus Software...

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:14:14 -0500

Who ever demanded software and an operating system that would allow
advertisers and marketers to seize control of their computer, direct it to
some or other Web site, install software on it and then execute it for the
purpose of extracting money from the owner for the benefit of some
corporation? And could the manufacturer of that software and operating
system ever think for a moment that offering that control to anyone other
than the owner of a personal computer would not result in abuse? What is the
purpose of a personal computer if not personal?

The simple solution is to return control of the personal computer to the
person controlling the computer! It is an obscenity that I must install
firewall software to keep programmes from attempting to connect my computer
to the internet in the background where I cannot see it. We insist on law
enforcement agents presenting search warrants but apparently welcome
Microsoft and Norton and any number of others unlimited access to our
computers and wonder why this gets abused.Plugging holes simply is
unacceptable. Can we not demand they build the software without the access
in the first place? We are discussing here, entire suits of software and
entire industries to protect our computers from the very software enabling
the intrusions in the first place.

Bazaar!

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario
dleavens@xxxxxxx