Re: Announcing Highlighted text

Michael,
Just to say I'm glad you passed all the sections of that test, even if that 
stuff got mixed up like that.  What you say about such confusion reminds me 
of when, long ago, I switched over from WordPerfect to Word on my PC (I know 
a lot of blind folks are partial to WordPerfect from their earlier 
experiences, but that had nothing to do with it, as I could see the screen 
fine, then.  I had other reasons for choosing one word processor over 
another).  Anyway, I used to confuse my WordPerfect knowledge with the Word 
commands and functions that I was learning, and it took a while to wean 
myself from reflexively thinking in WordPerfect.  But I know that's common, 
because Word, even to this day, offers settings to help former WordPerfect 
users feel at home.  Which is to say, nothing wrong with your brain!  Just 
too much stuff competing directly in the same area, screen reader stuff.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Michael G." <commodore128@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: Announcing Highlighted text


Hi,

You're right of coarse, I'd just arrow down to the end of the paragraph as
well.  This is how I've always done it since I never really knew the
Insert+Shift+Down arrow command.  I passed every test but the Window Eyes
test which isn't surprising     because I was never comfortable with Window
eyes anyway.  Window Eyes has one of the most convoluted keyboard command
schemes I've ever encountered.  I kind of chuckled when you mentioned how
Window Eyes squeezed out my answer to this particular question about
announcing selected text.  I think this description applied more towards
another question on the test where I just absolutely blew it.  One of the
questions on the Jaws test asked what the command was for bringing up the
System tray list.  The answer, of coarse, was Insert+F11. But  for some
unearthly reason, my brain just switched into Window Eyes mode and I sat
there for like five minutes trying to think what the Window Eyes command was
to accomplish this and I ultimately put down a Window Eyes answer.  It
wasn't until I actually got to the Window Eyes test and this same question
about how to bring up the System Tray came up again that I realized I had
supremely goofed. I felt so stupid because I use Insert+f11 in Jaws all the
time.  And once you move on to another test, you're not allowed to go back
to change your answers.  But as it turned out, it wasn't a big deal because
I did pass the Jaws portion.  I was tested on Jaws, Microsoft Word, Windows
XP, and Window Eyes.  Like you, I'm amused by all the attention this topic
has attracted.  When I brought it up, I thought it was a pretty simplistic
thing.  I had no idea it would get as much reaction as it has.

Michael



----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: Announcing Highlighted text


> Hi,
>
> Again, first of all, please understand that to say that something is
> highlighted of course means what you describe, that it's in a different
> color to call attention to it and mark it off.  But as I said, you  see,
> this is simply the visible *evidence* of the actual action, which is
> selecting something.  I'm sorry, but there's a distinction.  It's really
> helpful to be precise when speaking of things like this.
>
> As for the example you give, it isn't so wrong an example at all.  But all
> I
> can say is that I often select all sorts of stuff, whether a few words or
> a
> bunch of paragraphs or half a document or whatever.  How much doesn't
> matter.  But if I want to be sure that things are just right, say, at the
> end of a selected portion that I've selected with, you know, what is it,
> control shift down arrow, yes?  I just use my up and down-arrow keys to
> explore, to unselect or select at that point.  It's become second nature
> to
> me.  I'd much rather do this than, having selected something like a block
> of
> 250 words on a document page, use this command so that I have to sit and
> listen to the entire block until it gets to the end and I can hear that
> everything I wanted to select is selected, but not anything I didn't want
> to
> select.
>
> Interesting how the Window Eyes command got into your brain and squeezed
> out
> the jaws command.  Did you pass the exams?
> unto , I ntohoutside


--
To post a message to the list, send it to jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to 
jfw-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.
Archives located at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/jfw

If you have any concerns about the list, post received from the list, or the 
way the list is being run, do not post them to the list. Rather contact the 
list owner at jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx



-- 
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.0/167 - Release Date: 11/11/2005




-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.362 / Virus Database: 267.13.0/167 - Release Date: 11/11/2005

--
To post a message to the list, send it to jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message to 
jfw-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.
Archives located at: http://www.freelists.org/archives/jfw

If you have any concerns about the list, post received from the list, or the 
way the list is being run, do not post them to the list. Rather contact the 
list owner at jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Other related posts: