Re: Adobe

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:37:00 -0500

I wrote too hastily in my previous message. I mainly wanted to suggest that PDF files have become much easier to handle, and I, for one, have overcome much of my PDF phobia.

I can't remember if we still need to downloadn and install an accessibility plug-in. Someone will write in with a definitive answer, or else you can go to the Adobe Reader website and read its accessibility information. You'd think I'd remember, but I just recall that the last time I downloaded an update, it was also easier than it had been.

My procedure now is to let Adobe's accessibility feature process the file. If JAWS can read it, great. If not, I check the file menu for helpful options, such as text conversion.

If you have a document reader that can convert image files to text, it gives you another option for reading otherwise inaccessible PDF files.

One drawback of the accessibility conversion is that it doesn't retain the format of the original. Something to keep in mind if you want others to see it.