Re: Activating "mouse over" links

  • From: "Debbie Scales" <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 13:23:35 -0400

It is supposed to insert control enter with jaws 7 and jaws 7.1.
But I often find jaws not to work well with mouse over links.
The inforamtion is in the jaws help system.
Mouse Over Effects
HTML allows the author of a page to set an OnMouseOver attribute for most
HTML elements to run specified code such as JavaScript or Visual Basic
Script when the mouse pointer is moved over the HTML element. Often this is
used to momentarily display text, graphics, or links. JAWS now recognizes
the OnMouseOver attribute, and if it is set to display text or links as part
of the page, JAWS provides access to that information. Press
INSERT+CTRL+ENTER to simulate moving the mouse pointer over the element at
the Virtual Cursor location. If the mouse over event caused some part of the
page to change, JAWS announces the line where the change occurred. To review
the new content, you can press J to perform the Jump To Line command. Enter
the number of the line that changed and press ENTER to move directly to that
line. You can press SHIFT+J at any time to return to your previous location
on the page.

By default, JAWS announces when an HTML element has a mouse over effect. If
you want JAWS to ignore the OnMouseOver attribute, do the following:

  1.. Press INSERT+F2, select "Configuration Manager," and press ENTER.
  2.. From the Set Options menu, choose Speech and Sounds Manager.
  3.. In the Select Scheme list, choose "Classic."
  4.. Press ALT+E to edit this scheme.
  5.. Press CTRL+TAB until you move to the HTML tab, and then use the arrow
keys to select "onmouseover."
  6.. Press ALT+I to select the Ignore radio button.
Tip: If you want JAWS to play a sound when you encounter an element with a
mouse over effect, press ALT+P to select the Play Sound radio button. Then,
choose Select Wave File to select a sound.

  7.. Choose OK and press ALT+A to save your current settings as a new
scheme. Give the scheme a descriptive name and press ENTER. JAWS will not
announce the OnMouseOver attribute while you are using this scheme.