From: Adrian Spratt
To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:45 PM
Subject: Re: Accessible Dictionary

Ray,

Thanks to a fellow lister's recommendation, I recently installed the Random
House Unabridged Webster's, which I bought for $9 plus shipping from

http://www.eLearnAid.com

I agree with Bruce Toews that online dictionaries have advantages, including
staying current, but this dictionary is useful. You can cross-reference in a
variety of ways, search for key words in definitions in case it helps you
find a word in the main entries that's on the tip of your tongue, and more.
A few points:

1. The main dictionary is accessible without doing any JAWS tweaking.

2. However, if you wish to hear the dictionary's voiced definitions of
words, doing so isn't intuitive. That other lister figured out how to get to
it with JAWS. If anyone is interested, one of us will post the steps.

3. The dictionary opens promptly with the press of a shortcut key
combination. However, creating that shortcut also involved a non-intuitive
method. Again, we can post the steps if anyone is interested.

4. When doing a custom install, you are given several choices. One is to
install the dictionary's multimedia component. I didn't figure out how to
get sounds to work and gave up. Considering that this component is immense,
I had to removed the entire application and do a reinstall. Apparently, MS
Word didn't like what I'd done, and so I had to start all over and not check
the MS Word component, which doesn't strike me as all that important anyway.

5. As I recall, the ReadMe file wasn't made available until after
installation. It's a useful file and worth reading. It's a shame the
installation parts aren't available prior to installation. They are given in
the print documentation. Still, I was able to carry out the installation
without those instructions.