re: AVG and JAWS

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:55:46 -0400

Cy,

Every time Grissoft introduces a new version of the free AVG, people get a
notification that support for the earlier version will be discontinued on a
certain date. This triggers the false rumor that the free version of AVG is
going away.

I used to have the free version of AVG 9, but switched to Microsoft Security
Essentials because AVG 9 had a couple of bugs when it first was introduced.
MSSE is no longer a viable option for me, because their update of the virus
definitions is a whopping 52 Mb. My dial-up Internet provider puts a 4-hour
limit on each internet session and then resets the server connection. I can
not download a 52 Mb file within this 4-hour limit, so updating the MSSE
virus definitions is now impossible.

I have just managed to find the download link for the free AVG version 9, so
here it is:

http://free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-afg#tba2

The above link will bring up a page containing download links for the free
AVG 9, and you will want to find the link labeled as an 84 mob executable.
(I can use a laptop with a WIFI connection to download this file and then
install it on my desktop PC.)

Alan