Re: AVG

  • From: "dave_d0619" <dave_d0619@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 15:06:54 -0400

Hello Robert:

Simple is always best as we know!

A large number of the general population do not think that individuals who
are visually impaired can use a computer.

There are a lot of people out there who think that because a person has
limited vision or no vision at all, they are not even capable of working in
a job.

So, if the average member of the public is not even aware that we can use a
computer, then it follows that they are unaware as to the existence of
access technology and how we use the technology to use our computers.

Therefore, it stands to reason, when programmers write programs, they are
likely to be   ignorant as to how the design and layout of a programs
interface, might impact a person who uses access technology to use programs
on their computer, given the fact that those same programmers are members of
the public.

This ignorance, is also one of the main reasons why there is so much
unemployment among individuals who are visually impaired.

In the 1970's, I worked as a telephone operator for a music company.

When I went to the interview, the question was asked as to how I could use
the switchboard, given the fact that lights indicated which line was
ringing.

I explained that there were adaptations that could be done to the console,,
which allowed a person who could not see the lights, answer the lines that
were ringing.

They were stunned and amazed to find out that things like that had even been
invented and therefore existed.

Sincerely:

Dave Durber