RE: ABC [Yet Another Bittorrent Client] question

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:40:08 -0400

Let's say just as an example, *everyone* wants to download the new jfw
6.2 update file.  Let's also say that the load is so huge, that the
response time from the single FS server is hours and hours to get the
full download.  That's because everyone is trying to get the file at
once, from a single source, with a single line to it.

Here's how a torrent would work:

One person would download the update file (hopefully the first person,
or FS could even do this if they were forward looking).  That person
would then Use a feature of their BitTorrent client to create a very
small "torrent" file which would have a description of the update file,
and a little other info about it (such as size, hash checking codes,
etc.).  They would then log on to any of the BitTorrent trackers we've
all been discussing and upload this little torrent file.  It would only
take them a few seconds to do that.

That makes it known to everyone, who then contact that tracker (let's
say in this case because the word was put out on the list), and download
the little torrent file.  The little torrent file causes their
BitTorrent client to contact the tracker, behind the scenes, to ask "who
has a copy of this file that's willing to upload it to other folks", and
the magic of torrents begin.

Little bits of the file are passed around and duplicated from one person
to the next; because so many people want this file at once, you could
end up literally downloading bits of it, simultaneously, from hundreds
of other people.  This could end up saving you a lot of time in the
download, but it could also end up saving someone like FS from
dedicating lots of high-priced equipment and high-speed internet links
just to satisfy the occasional need for a high demand file like this
update.

There are those who will use this technology to pass around copyrighted
material, but you shouldn't let them define what it means to use
torrents.  Just like the telephone, there's plenty of legitimate reasons
why we all should be switching over to it.

Hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator