[jawsscripts] web sites with graphics and tip on youtube navigation people might find helpful?

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:12:04 +1100

I reckon Elise's on the money here below.
The number of so-called web developers I've spoken to over the years, who
just aren't even aware of people utilizing websites with screen-readers, or
that blind people use/wanna navigate the web at all, is simply astounding!
until relatively recently, Accessibility just unfortunately hasn't been, and
may still not be,
 a really high priority still, in the minds of customers who desire website
development. and, since the customers often drive the market place, thus not
also in the minds of the developers providing the customers with the
service! would that be correct in your experience Elise?

Take for example a situation this week I saw with our Church. They
apparently use a packaged service that youtube offers people, where they
upload their video to youtube, and it creates what is apparently called,
embed code, that the Church website tweaker can then somehow plonk onto
their webpage, and it'll link to that video, such that then presumably they
don't have to hoast it on their servers etc. Well, that code is a flash
based thing according to jaws, the people at the Church office weren't even
aware of that, and, is totally inacessible to jaws! it just says, good old,
flash movie start,flash movie end. right above and below each other, with
not even any unlabelled buttons in there!
no way for the jaws user to even know there's a video there to play!

Now at my very limited knowledge of how web stuff works, please correct me
if I'm wrong  anyone,
but, it seems the people at youtube offering this kind of service, even at
that high end of things, obviously still aren't aware enough of
accessibility, to have provided the users of this service, with an already
done and dusted accessible packaged solution!  with a play/stop buttons,
seek slider bar, or accessible volume controls. just crazy, but, there you
are.

BTW, JAWS related, I've discovered something I don't know if people are
aware of, but, on youtube itself, playing a video of something, some of the
buttons in jaws are labelled, like pause, and play, and replay etc, which is
greatly helpful in virtual cursor land. but, I've found, that because jaws
will often see the flash movie as an object, if you hit quick key o, for
move to object, then, if you hit jawsKey+Zed, to turn off virtual cursor,
and thus allow the keyboard to interact with the site directly, then hit tab
once or twice to take real focus into the flash movie, jaws might even
identify one of the flash movie buttons as you go, to help you know this has
occurred.  Then, up/down arrows will work to alter the volume of the playing
file, and, even more helpfully, left/right arrows will operate the seek
slider bar thinggy, such as to provide a rewind/fastForward ability.
spacebar might even work to playPause the file, whilst in non-virtual cursor
mode too.obviously you don't get the fine control over rewind and
fastForward that the mouse users get, and I have experimented with driving
this a different way, but, the above method has often worked as a quick and
dirty one for me. specially in those times when you can hardly hear jaws
enough, when stuck with a single sound card  sinario, whilst a youtube video
is playing, and you might like to reduce it's level a bit.  be warned that
flipping the virtual cursor on and off, does mean for quirkynesses and
weirdnesses in the synchronizing of location sometimes, but, that quick Key
O, when virtual cursor/quick keys are active, can be a very useful tool to
getting back to home base again if one goes amidships.

hth.

Geoff c.