[jawsscripts] urgent if possible please how2make inputBox info feed in2findString?

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:09:32 +1000

oh mighty scripters.

 I'm writing kinda fast as I've been trying to configure my email client
before ausi bed times for the last hour or so from being away and using
someone else's server etc. and I think I've got it now.  But, I really am
stumped on such a simple thing, but I can't figure this out! all I wish to
do, is make the inputBox that people pointed me to on this list, feed the
input the user types in, back into a findString function, such that I can
execute this code I've been rabbiting on about over the past few weeks, but
now it's really really crunch time for me to get it in or it's never gunna
happen! and the supervisor's think that it really would be helpful for
efficiency for this vision impaired client on this job, if I could do what
I'd like to do.  bottom line is, I just want to be able to solicit input
from the user for what they're looking for, and make that input dynamically
feed into the findString findString function!

But, although I've read the fsdn on it, I just can't for the life of me work
out how to do this!

as you'll all  know, the fsdn help on inputBox says:

'If you enter text into the Edit box and press the OK button, the text you
typed in the Edit box is returned to the calling function by way of the
third variable of the function, which is a string variable that is passed by
reference to the calling function.'

then a little lower down in the param descriptions, it says:

 'Param 3:
Type: String
reference. If you type text in the Edit box and press the OK button, this
parameter returns the text that you typed to JFW. If you do not enter text
into the Edit box or you press the Cancel button, this parameter contains a
NULL string,
Include: Required
* Returns data by reference.'

ok so I then tried to figure out, how to make the findString function,
somehow call, whatever that exactly means, this inputBox function, by
putting the whole inputBox function thing as the second parameter of the
FindString function. but then it complained the second param of findString
should be of type string not int. and then you see, it claims the whole
inputBox actually, returns, again whatever that exactly means, an int value,
of 0 if user hits cancel, and 1 if they hit ok! which I presume is why
findString is complaining about it returning the wrong kind of data! but it
just got through telling me, that it returned the input user string, to the
"calling function!" so man i'm confused! again!

telline mt thatbeing

So, I just don't get this whole, "by reference," thing above!

If I just type code like the following:

Script MultiScreenFind ()

var

handle hwnd,

int iSafety,

int iWhichScreen

InputBox ("find what?", "Find", "")

; then user types their data into box and hit enter, and I then want to feed
this data into findString, and for jaws cursor to be located on it, then
carry out other things:

FindString (hwnd, "Here's where user input data has to go but how?", s_top,
s_unrestricted")

any tips so greatly appreciated! I"m sorry I'm just so pathetically lame at
this!

geoff c.