[jawsscripts] setting a frame on a temporary window

  • From: Jason Fayre <jfayre@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:33:11 -0600

Hello everyone,
I am currently working with a game called "Smugglers 4".  For those of
you who haven't heard of it, it is a Science Fiction strategy game.
The very cool thing is that the author is attempting to make this game
accessible to blind users.  It is still a work in progress, but it is
coming along.  Currently, you need to use the JAWS cursor almost
exclusively to navigate this game.

If anyone with a lot more experience at JAWS scripting than me could
download the demo of this game and take a look at it, that would be
great.  I am not looking for someone to do the scripting work, just some
nudges in the right direction.
the website to download the demo is:
http://www.nielsbauergames.com

I am thinking of trying to script some parts of this game that are not
quite speaking correctly yet.  I have the following questions:
1.  On the Combat screen of this game, a short status message pops up
near the top of the screen whenever an event happens.  For example, when
you fire at a ship, it tells you if you hit them or not.  This message
is only displayed for around 3-4 seconds.  Is there any way to freeze
the application so I can get an idea of the dimentions of this window so
I can set a frame on it?  Right now, as soon as I get the JAWS cursor to
the text, it disappears.

2.  Sometimes, JAWS will not let me move the JAWS cursor to certain
areas of the screen, even though I know there is text there.  This
usually happens if I am moving down the screen.  The JAWS cursor will
just stop at a certain point.

3.  This is probably a very newbie question, but...  As a totally blind
person, how do you know the exact dimentions of a window to set a
frame?  You can set it based on the text that is in it, but if the
amount of text changes, your frame will not read everything.

I can probably use Hot Spot Clicker for a lot of what I want to do.
There are a lot of buttons that need to be clicked, but there are
currently no hotkeys for them.  The author has said he will look into
doing this.

Any help would be apreciated!