[jawsscripts] Re: automating commands to extract info from web site?

  • From: "Don Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 20:06:36 -0500

Try hitting F1 in Excel for help and typing something similar to "web data"
in the search box.  I have Office 2007, so I do not know if all of the great
features are available in 2003.  What you want is some type of web query.  I
attempted to follow the directions in the help, but not all of the steps in
the help were easily accessible.  You should be able to select a table on
the webpage and Excel helps you create a new web query.  In Excel 2007, You
can also create a web query through the ribbon: Data > Web Source >
(probably available in the 2003 menus).

It may be easier to copy one of the examples of web queries that come with
Excel.  Some of them are also to look up stock quotes.  Then you can edit
the query and change it's properties.  In the properties, there are
interesting features such as determining when the data is refreshed or
continually updated.  I think Alt + F5 will manually ask if you want to
update the external sources.

If I give you any more help, you will need to provide me a percentage of
everything you make on the market (not the losses)!  <grin>

Don Marang
Vinux Software Development Coordinator (vinux.org.uk)

There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real
substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working
on things that matter.
Dean Kamen