[jawsscripts] a good way to jump directly to the e-mail field when creating a contact in microsoft outlook

  • From: "NIcol" <nicoljacobus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:08:57 +0200

Hi all
I am using jaws10 and outlook 2003.
When creating contacts  in microsoft  outlook,  most of the time, I only
need a full name and  1  e-mail address in a contact, no other inffo.
If I press control plus  shift  plus  c  for the new contact dialogue,  the
cursor is already on the full name field   so I can go ahead and type the
person's name and surname.
Because I  usually  do not need to  enter  any other info I want to jump
directly to the field to enter the e-mail address.
Inoutlook 2003,  at the full name field,  It takes 13 presses of the shift
tab keystroke to take me to the field to enter the e-mail address.
IN most windows dialogue boxes, you can hit  the alt key in combination with
a letter to take you to a particular field.
ON the e-mail address field, Presssing shift plus numpad 5,  which is a jaws
keystroke,  and which can be used in most windows dialogue boxes,  jaws
tells me: "no hot key".
Which means there is no way to jump to the e-mail  address field.
Therefore I have created a jaws  script to jump from the full name field to
the e-mail address field and I would very much like to share it with you. If
your version of microsoft outlook is different or if you are using another
e-mail client, change the number 11 contained  in the line that begins with
the word  While  and change the window class in the if statement and  change
{shift+tab} to {tab} if need be.
This script is for those, who,  like me, only wish to enter the contact's
full name and 1 e-mail address in most cases.
The script's source code is below.
Here is what you do to install the script:
1.  Select the following texttttt and press control plus c to  copy it to
your clipboard:
If GetWindowClass (GetCurrentWindow ()) == "RichEdit20WPT" then
Var
Int number
Let number= 1
While (number <= 11)
{shift+tab}
Let number = number+1
EndWhile
Else
SayString ("you are not in the new contact dialogue box")
EndIf
2. in your e-mail client, press insert plus f2  followed by the letter s;
until you arrive at script manager and hit enter.
3.   Press insert plus t. Make sure that the name of your e-mail client is
spoken.
4.  Press control plus e to create a new script.
5. You should be on a field labeled: script name.
Type the name for this script:
Type any name you want, capitilizing the first letter of each word in the
script name.
NO spaces or dashes .
The name I have entered is:
JumpToEMailAddressField
6.  Press tab once.
You should   be on a checkbox labeled: "can be attached to key".
Press space to check it.
By default it  is  always unchecked.
IN the next 2 fields you  can enter a synopsis and longer description to
ssspecify  and explain what the script does.
The synoppsis field is a one line field  which means there is no word wrap,
while the description field is a multi line field with word wrap.
IN the next field you can  enter or select a  category.
These 3  fields are not manditory for  the script to work.
7.  Once on the category combo box, press tab  once.
If you are still on the "attach to  key"  checkbox and you do not wish to
enter a synopsis,  descriptionn and category, press
alt plus A for the field to enter a keystroke.
8.  Press a keystroke you want to use.
By default, enter,  shift tab, tab and escape can't be enterd as a
keystroke. Both insert keys and both windows logo keys can also be used as
modifiers. After pressing the desired keystroke, hit enter.
I used left windows key  plus m for the script's keystroke because right
windows key plus d also takes me to the desktop.
9.     Make sure you are 1  line  below the line that readds:
Script MoveToEMailAddressField ()
This line contains the name you have entered for the script which may be
different than the one I have entered.
10. Press control plus v to paste the text you  have copied earlier.
 This text is called the script's source code.
11.  Press control plus s to save and compile the script.
Let me  know if you get any error message after pressing control s and I
will help you from there.
I have tested the script and it works perfectly on my machine.
From the full name field, it exactly jumps to the e-mail address field.
Insert plus 1, the 1 below the function keys, turns on keyboard help.
Here you can press any jaws keystroke.
If you press a jaws  keystroke  once, the synopsis of the script attached to
the keystroke is read.
Press a jaws keystroke twice and the description of that jaws script is
read. So in keyboard help you can listen to the synopsis and description you
have entered for the above script.
Press a script's keystroke 3 times to hear the script's name.
Press insert plus 1 again to turn off keyboard help.
Feel free to ask if you need mor  help with this script.
I am myself a novis at scripting.
Hope this helps.