[jawsscripts] Re: What Am I doing wrong on this script?

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 10:10:39 -0700

Mark, my post was really not intended to be discouraging, as others
have pointed out. Folks on this list can correct your mistakes for
u--the key is do u know *why* we quote something as opposed to when
quoting isn't necessary, for example.

I'm just sayin I think you're tryin' to do calculus when  u haven't
yet passed algebra, as it were. Every house has to have a
foundation--that also applies to learning. I can't speak for all on
list, but I think most of us on this list would love it if u wrote
something like:
I'm in chapter x of the basics of scripting manual. My assignment is
y, & I'm struggling w/the following code. Having those on list correct
your code only serves to foster continued dependence, *until* u learn
the basics--at which point u can then say, "o, yeah--it's a string--of
course it would have to have quotes". At that point, it serves as a
learning tool. See the difference?

I personally really want u to learn. I think others on list share that
sentiment. But start on the first stair--don't try to take 5 at a
time. Get the foundations down, & b4 long, you'll be helpin others on
this list.

On 3/12/12, Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mark, the Basics of Scripting manual assumes you know almost
> nothing about scripting, and includes simple excercises to get you
> up and running.  Other than someone coming over to your house for a
> couple days of expensive paid tutoring, I can't really imagine an
> easier way to get started!
>
> But, maybe some of us just have trouble gleaning information from
> documentation, no matter how clearly it is written.
>
> Chris
> CTS MASTERING: PROFESSIONAL MIXING AND MASTERING!
> http://www.ctsmastering.com
>
> Dropbox: Have your stuff when you need it. 2GB is free
> http://db.tt/bQ2GuIt

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Ask Me Computer Questions at: www.pcinquirer.com
Jaws Scripting training materials: www.screenreaderscripting.com