[jawsscripts] Re: Virtual cursor active in the script manager? & textUnitRules

  • From: "Paul Magill" <magills@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 21:00:10 +1000

Hi all,

Thanks Jackie, but I already tried that setting in the config manager.

- Sorry, but I should have referred to the textUnitRules by their correct
name, Smart
Word Reading, but I had spent so long going through the .jcf files, which
use the section name of textUnitRules for these settings, that that term was
stuck in my mind.

I use these settings in a few apps to improve reading, but the main
advantage for me is in the script manager where lines such as the following,
read very much better:

SayUsingVoice (VCTX_Message, Message, OT_No_Disable)

When reading by word, without smart word reading, the whole constant
VCTX_Message  is said 3 times, and the constant OT_No_Disable is said 4
times.

With smart reading set up, each segment of the constant is said only once,
quite similar to when using SelectNextWord to highlight it. A much more
pleasant way to read.

Smart Word Reading has to be set up for each individual cursor type, and
that is where the issue arises. I had it set up for the PCCursor in version
8, & it fails with the virtual cursor, & I haven't sorted that out yet.

* For more about Smart Word reading, open the Jaws help file, and the What's
new in Jaws topic, then the What's new in Jaws 8, & H until you reach the
smart word reading heading .

The main issue I have with version 10 changing voices, is when a Jaws dialog
such as DLGSelectItemInList opens, it uses the message voice instead of the
voice that was active before it opened. That hasn't happended in any earlier
versions.

Overall, I'm pleased with version 10, but am finding the cursor & voice
issues quite annoying...

I hope someone has found a fix for these problems, or can point me in a
direction to go...

Regards,
Paul from Aust