[jawsscripts] Re: Urgent! Accessibility For Sibelius Sound Set Editor?

  • From: "David Pinto" <davepinto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:34:39 -0700

I made Sibelius accessible via a large set of JAWS scripts, and extensive
use of Sibeliuses Manuscript language. The script package is called Sibelius
Speaking and also contains a comprehensive tutorial. But I stopped
maintaining SibeliusSpeaking with Sibelius V3 because free scripts, Sibelius
Access, were developed. I believe Sibelius is up to version 7 now, so my
distributor, Dancing Dots, is not selling SibeliusSpeaking at this time. So
check out the Sibelius Access web site.

The Sibelius company has continued to maintain the accessibility of their
product. This is different from the recent trajectory of Cakewalk, the
company that creates SONAR, a MIDI/Audio program. My scripts for SONAR,
called CakeTalking, made it accessible since its inception. Also, a set of
free scripts, called JSonar, was developed a few years ago. Unfortunately,
the new version of SONAR has broken the accessibility of many of the vital
features of SONAR.

By the way, I had the great fortune and fun teaching Sibelius and
SibeliusSpeaking to Ray Charles, who actually gave a demonstration of using
it at a CSUN accessibility conference, the year before he passed.  It was
truly awe inspiring to see Ray composing, printing out, and then conducting
a jazz band in the chart he'd just written. The whole things took 45
minutes, from writing in Sibelius to conducting the final beat. Stevie
Wonder, Dianne Shuur and several other blind celebrities were in the
audience. Nice memories.

David Pinto