[jawsscripts] Scripts for Matlab

  • From: "Amy Bower" <abower@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:39:25 -0500

Hi all - I'm new to the list. I'm a scientist at Woods Hole Oceanographic
Institution. I'm a Zoomtext and Jaws user, leaning more toward Jaws as
vision declines.

I'm a heavy user of Matlab, a widely used scientific and engineering data
analysis and modeling software application. I use it on Windows platforms,
although it also runs on most other operating systems. I write a lot of code
for data analysis within Matlab. I'm looking for a source code editor that
will work well with Jaws. Matlab has it's own editor/debugger, which works
basically OK with Jaws, but there is a lot of visual information that Jaws
doesn't see that would be helpful to know about. For example, if you type a
syntax error, a little scrigglely underline appears under the arrow. It
would be great if one could scan for those with Jaws, just like in MS Word
one can use the hot keys to search for the next mis-spelled word. Since the
Matlab editor is already identifying the error, seems like it wouldn't be
too big a deal to have a script to find these errors. But I'm not a
scripter, nor do I want to learn (too much to do for my research as it is).
Also, there is the syntax highlighting, with the Matlab editor shows very
nicely visually, but how to get Jaws to help with matching parentheses,
for/end loops, etc?

I've seen reference to something called Crimson editor that claims to be
good with Jaws and source code editing for various applications. Haven't
tried it much. Would be interested in the experience of others. If possible,
I would rather stick with the Matlab editor because it has the debugging
tools built in, which allow you to click on a link in the application that
will take you right back to the line in the code where the error occurred--a
great time saver for the visually impaired!

Your thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated, on or off list.

Cheers,
Amy Bower
abower@xxxxxxxx