[jawsscripts] Re: Saying two messages with a specific period of silence in between

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:57:29 -0400 (EDT)

While a company certainly has competing priorities, I think there has been
a consistent pattern of devoting relatively little attention to the needs
of JAWS scripters over the years.  I did not say no attention, but the
amount has been frustratingly little and baffling given that scriptability
has been one of the keystones by which JAWS has distinguished itself from
the competition.  For example, there is no reliable channel for getting
scripting support, scripting documentation lacks examples and "what's new"
lists, FS newsletters hardly address scripting topics, and little is done
to convene FS developers at blindness conventions.

  I would think that if someone took the time to gather suggestions from
the JAWS scripting list (the only viable one, which has no FS
representative participating), at least a written acknowledgement of some
kind would be in order.  Unfortunately though, what I experienced was not
an anomaly, but part of the pattern.  Besides calling the scripting
reference information "Freedom Scientific Developer Network" (fsdn.chm),
what has the company done to facilitate such a network?

 Regards,
 Jamal
 On
Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Doug Lee wrote:

> [...]
> course, and I've argued this myself, that scripting feature requests,
> at least good ones, should result in end-user features simply by
> making them more possible; but again, in a sufficiently large company,
> it is pretty normal for that viewpoint to be hard to sell.
>
> Last point:  If you write and maintain scripts for a very popular
> program, like Winamp or Skype or somesuch, you probably know how
> it feels to get a lot of different feature requests at once.  Each
> person will naturally feel his or her request is important, and if
> you don't get it done, that person will often feel ignored.  The
> fact that you implemented 15 out of 20 requests in a short time
> does not change this, neither does the fact that you had no more
> time to use for implementing requests.  There will be times when
> you receive a request, and you have three choices of what to do
> right then:  Write a response to the request, implement the requested
> feature, or deal with a higher-priority item.  This is a supply-and-deman=
> problem of a sort, and it applies to JAWS itself, and its features,
> just as much as to a set of scripts one of us might maintain.  I'm
> not surprised that the majority of users don't think of things this
> way, but I admit I'm a little surprised to see this view lost on a
> scripting list.
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:40:28AM -0700, Matthew2007 wrote:
> Yes, I agree on all points. From a business perspective its very, very po=
or
> form to ask for suggestions to improve on your product then completely
> ignore the suggestions. Not acknowledging a requested suggestion will lea=
> to apathy on the suggestur/customer's behalf. The person sending the
> suggestion will e-mail their information and feel very disappointed if th=
ey
> spent so much time thinking of ways in which the product will benefit onl=
> to find they walk away feeling neglected and ultimately feeling bad affec=
> towards the company. The result is the slow end to all user suggestions,
> which means the company will lose an avenue of user feedback and left to
> guess at what the "typical" user wants in a product. Its one thing to
> logically conclude that a product has shortcomings, but if emotion is the
> basis of a conclusion, it will take much more effort to turn the person
> around as, I dare say--and can prove, most people think with their emotio=
ns
> than with their minds though most people are under the impression of the
> opposite. You would think FS would know this basic human nature. Besides,
> how hard is it to send a type of simple form letter reply via e-mail? I'm
> telling you guys, unless they make some drastic obvious changes, I'd say
> they have maybe 7 or 8 years before they throw in the towel. I believe Te=
> Henter was smart to see that jaws had for the most part hit its zenith an=

LLY