[jawsscripts] Re: Putting application windows in the virtual buffer

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 03:09:17 +1100

p.s. Sorry chad, I note you indicated the advantage of auto SayAll working
with this method, but, could you not just plonk that after the
userBufferActivate line if desired? I generally put a SayLine there, such
that the user gets some feedback as to what's happened, but, ... yeah. any
other advantages to utilizing that method?

Still studying some stuff in hotspot clicker.jss on this, in the function,
HscHotKeyHelpDialog
where there's a goodish deal of complex use of the UserBufferAddText
functionality with functions attached etc. some lines of which say, "Link,",
when in userBuffer experience,
and some don't, to try and work out exactly what indicates this, since I
have established that just having the presence of a function as the second
parameter, after the text string or function to add the text etc, doesn't
necessarily denote that it's gunna alert the user that hitting enter will in
fact do things.

I feel a bit pathetic doing this, offering imperfect knowledge etc,
but, For those who per chance might be more behind than me upon this one,
I will share that when utilizing the userBufferAddText function,
such that certain stuff will happen when the user presses enter from the
virtual viewer on those lines which contain this,
you do need to put the name of the secondary function you are going to
write, that will execute when the user hits enter, in quotation marks, even
if it contains parameters that you may want to pass into that function, in
arenthisies etc.
This to me is kind of odd, because usually,in my admittedly vastly
limited user scripting experience,
 we're generally expecting that stuff in quotation marks is gunna be an
actual string or whatever, and variables or function names are usually the
one's not in quotation marks.
But, that's not the case in this situation it appears.
I'll paste in below, some code written for me recently by the snowman, which
illustrates a bit of how this can be used, in another post. though it will
not as yet, have resolved the issue of why the term "link" is sometimes
spoken.
Because it isn't, with any of this code. But, as I say, it is with other
userBufferAddText code I've seen.

so I'm still working on that.
Geoff c.