[jawsscripts] Re: Jaws versus We thoughts, was silence in between Saying two messages

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:25:28 -0400

To answer your questions with a sort of brief blanket response, mostly
to minimize its length:  I am first and foremost a programmer.  I
favor JAWS for several reasons.  In no particular order, they include
familiarity, enjoyment of the interface, ability to converse with
developers and effect change occasionally, knowledge that JAWS is well
established in office and government settings, appreciation (most of
the time) of the company's priorities and feature implementations, and
belief that the company will continue to do what it can to make JAWS
serve the needs that exist.  Some may note that I did not list
anything like "ease of programming in JAWS" among my reasons.  I have
programmed by now in many languages, some procedural, some
object-oriented, and a few in categories unto themselves; and there
are more full-featured languages out there, even VBScript being one.
But I mostly program for purpose, even if it's also fun. <smile>

I do not consider myself bound to code only for JAWS, though I still
favor it as I indicated.  I entered JAWS scripting as my job demanded,
and chances are I'll enter other arenas for the same reason if called
upon to do so.  You point out that I and others do JAWS scripting as a
profession.  As I see it, I program accessibility solutions as a
profession, which is a more broad-scope statement that encompasses
JAWS scripting.  I have also written other things to the same end,
recently including a Perl program for translating a company-specific
report format into properly accessible HTML so blind employees could
navigate it effectively.  My company, SSB, offers an entire platform
for helping developers of many applications in many languages make
things accessible, and not just to blind people but to people with
various disabilities.  In short, things like a new scripting language
on the scene won't put us out, though it might alter the exact nature
of our work from time to time.

You also asked whether learning new languages is standard for
programmers.  Probably, and I'd go farther and say it's getting more
and more standard for people in general to have to keep learning new
things to survive.  This trend actually worries me, as I believe we
are approaching a time where information itself is created and its
transfer required more quickly than the human mind, as it now exists,
can handle.  That, though, is definitely a train of thought beyond the
topic of this list. <grin>

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:51:59AM +1000, Geoff Chapman wrote:
Oh Doug, firstly please man don't think that I thought your view in any way
an "emotional outburst," not at all.  and personally I totally concur that
your postulated supply&Demand time/resource prioritization reasons for it
all, would definitely be part of the general overall equation.

As you so aptly point out, the difficulty is when one tries to assess
accurate weightings.  nearly impossible probably to do accurately from the
outside.

The only pragmatic thing we can do I guess, is to observe/regret  the
seeming lack of attention/courtesy phenominon, and it's likely continued
impact upon developers who are wanting better tools to fix problems,
especially if an alternative becomes a really viable option.
I also totally concur with your concluding remarks regarding GW's somewhat
late decision for an adoption of an integrated scripting model
as providing pretty solid evidence as to the foresight and wisdom of fs's
initial decision to provide a scripting paradigm for the necessary
customizations they probably knew they would just never be able to totally
provide adequately inhouse, from the outset.
I remember a conversation I had with doug geofray once way back somewhere in
the late 90's, where I felt flattered enough that he actually took the time
in an email to specificly ask me what it would take to persuade me
personally to buy windoweyes, and I told him then, a macro or scripting
facility for customization.

It will indeed be very interesting to see what scripting makes of window
eyes.  particularly it's seemingly more open format that it has adopted,
which I presume will allow a wider range of programmers more used to writing
in alternate languages, to jump in to provide solutions, without having to
learn the caveats of the propriatory jaws scripting language.
For many of us here I guess now somewhat entrenched in all the caveats and
work-arounds using the propriatory jaws language,  it will be also
interesting to se what it may do for fs's attention not only to what end
user big paying government customers need/want, but to developers like
yourselves, who really do know, and are constantly discovering through
realTime practical usage,
 the tools that are needed to enhance the language to provide those end user
solutions that in the final analysis,
are going to be able to make those end user companies and thus customers
happy.

hmmm, this does raise some interesting questionbs to my mind however.  Do
you guys who do jaws scripting professionally, feel that this new player in
the scene, may have some kind of effect upon your own work/income?
Will you feel it incumbent upon you to have to be able to work in both
arenas?
And, a technical question perhaps to jamal as he seems to have been playing
in both camps, Which of the languages that window eyes supports, would you
say would most closely resemble the style of the jaws scripting language?
or is learning multiple languages just sttandard fair for any professional
programmers anywayz.

Presumably though, window eyes will have it's own set of little quirky bits
and caveats and work-arounds, that a person wanting to provide adequate end
user solutions, would also have to become familiar with, to be compitent in
both fields. would that be correct?