[jawsscripts] Re: Jaws scripts for Power DVD

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 19:28:07 +1100

Hi  Gethers.

ok this is a longish explanitory email so get ready to take in stuff.

I fear This topic/concept is kinda going outside what is meant to be the
primary focus of this list probably now,
Since your original question was related to whether there were current
scripts available for the power DVD  product, and the answer was, there
pretty much isn't,
but, might I just ask you, how familiar you are with using jaws? and in
particular, in exploring non-speech-friendly applications in general?

E.g. are you familiar at all with what Optical character recognition, (OCR),
is?
Or why it is necessary, and how it may or may not provide you with any
useful information about an application, and why/why not?

bottom line here is, many programs simply do not display controls on the
screen that are readily keyboard navigable with either arrows or tab,
, nor even display text on the screen that can readily be accessed/read by
the jaws cursor, after routing it to PC cursor.
And this program sounds like one of those.

These can be thus very difficult to script.

Basically, when you begin the OCR process, jaws13 attempts to glean some
information by, "looking," at the actual images, i.e. shapes of letters,
 of otherwise inaccessible text which may be on the screen, which, remember,
may or may not be there, as blind users we don't really know of course,
and converting anything it can recognize, to actual written text, that it
then allows traversing of with the jaws cursor/mouse pointer.

Then, after finishing it's recognition job,
it auto-activates the jaws cursor for you, which is really the mouse
pointer, and allows the user to explore the window with this cursor, and to
read any text it was able to recognize.
Of course you'd do that with control+Home to move to top of the window, then
arrow keys.
This process is similar to what scanners do, when connected to OCR engines,
though I'm told the contrast on a puter screen, is often not as sharp as it
is on a white page,
, so the success or otherwise of the OCR job it can actually do, is very
much dependent on a lot of factors.  Not the least of which is the contrast
of any actual text on the screen, to background, "noise,", how fancily the
text is written, i.e.
how decorated it   is, etc etc.

then, if, during exploration of the recognized text,
you find any useful text at all with the jaws cursor, you can try
leftClicking it with the Numpad Slash,
or, I think it's capsLock+topRow number 8 on the keyboard in laptop keyboard
layout,
leftClick emulation button.
And see if this brings any joy for you.

But, as soon as you activate the PC cursor again manually after this Optical
character recognition attempt has been performed, be aware that you lose the
recognized text of whatever jaws was able to glean from the process.
If anything.

be aware too, that you may get lots of, "garbage," bits and pieces that
don't mean anything too. that's pretty normal with bad situation OCRing.

So it's a one-shot deal basically.
Of course you can repeat the OCR operation as many times as you want, to see
if any improvements are made from a second or third shot.

You don't, however, do the OCR process, and then hit applications key.
That is a totally different deal,
as it's used to access a totally different menu of options, if indeed it
does anything at all in power DVD, which it may not in your version.

now, having said all that,
were you able to take a look at the table of keyboard commands I directed
you to in a previous message?

Did you try simply hitting enter, after loading what you know to be a power
dvd accepted filetype?
which from memory, was the keyboard play command.