[jawsscripts] Re: Jaws 13 OCR

I for one consider this to be one of the best features FS has
introduced in recent memory. I do think it's a game-changer. No longer
are we left in the dark when presented with an entirely graphical
window.

Even if you had the OCR tool built into Windows, which by the way, is
not really possible in a locked-down corporate world, you could not
map it to the on-screen elements for clicking as JAWS now permits.
Reading the text is only one angle of the problem - it's also mapping
that to UI elements that are on-screen.

I think the take-away from this is that we now have access to
information that was previously unavailable, with the ability to
interact with it, which was previously unthinkable.

On 9/16/11, Andre Williams <andre.williams.1965@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That governmental use was probably the original intent of feature
> development but now its being touted as being developed for the rest of us.
> There are probably few jaws users out there that don't have the restrictions
> you've outlined when using jaws at home. In other words, just a handful of
> us have this corporate use limitation and can find similar solutions without
> it costing $190--the cost of my SMA.
>
> There is lots of free software out there including a utility built right
> into windows one can use that does not depend on printing and scanning a
> document to run this type of OCR, so the time consuming process of printing
> and scanning a 15 page document is not a valid comment.
>
> Jonathan also said that for the first time this feature allowed him to know
> the total of his monthly phone bill--in other words, isn't this feature the
> greatest thing ever. I'm pretty sure Jonathan is resourceful enough to click
> on a link on that web page and get the total for his phone bill. His words
> just come off to me as needlessly insincere and manipulative.
>
> Overall, I just don't see this feature as worthy of a hit on my SMA.
>
> A-W

Chad Foster
Access Technology Solutions
Leveling The Playing Field Through Technology
http://www.GO-ATS.net