[jawsscripts] Jaws 10.0 slow to load configurations

  • From: "David Farough" <David.Farough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:26:52 -0400

I would really appreciate some help or suggestions on how to solve the
following problem.  I will try to be brief but there is a lot of
information that I have to include so that you can appreciate the
problem.

I work for the Canadian Government.  Many government departments are
now implementing measures that are included in the Management of
Information technology security (MITS).  One of these measures dictates
that a user will be informed of the last time that the account was
logged in to.  The user is expected to notify appropriate IT staff if
this information is not correct, IE If someone has tried to access the
account without your knowledge.  In our case this information is
presented to the user very early in the login process.  The Login will
not proceed until the user has activated the ok button in the message
box.  My problem is that Jaws is very slow to react to the presence of
this message box, and  as a result, the login is delayed unnecessarily.
It can take as long as 5 minutes for Jaws to react to this application.
This situation has only started since we began using Jaws 10.0. I sent a
support request to Freedom Scientific some time ago but they have been
unable to help me so far.

The application is written using VB.Net
the application uses a common messagebox to display your login
information at login.
the login script will not proceed until you activate the ok button in
the message box.
Jaws reacts reliably and will process code in the WindowCreatedEvent
which will cause the dialogue to be spoken reliably.
if you use the restart option or start the computer after a shutdown,
jaws will not speak this dialogue quickly.  could take as much as 5
minutes to speak.  The dialogue usually gains focus, but Jaws is slow to
react.
after the boot up process has completed, Jaws reads the dialogue
immediately with no problem.

I have been trying to force Jaws to react to this dialogue by adding
code to various events in the default scripts.

I have had best results with the WindowCreatedEvent.

The problem seems to be that Jaws is focussing on the wrong set of
windows for this application.  I will paste the window information for
this application which I collected using BX at the end of this message.

You will see that there are two separate window structures at level 1.
the first structure is invisible and for the most part, controls in this
structure are either invisible or disabled.  These windows are all .Net
classes.  The second structure are normal window classes and are all
visible and enabled.  I need to find a way to get jaws to focus on the
visible structure instead of focussing on the invisible windows.  I do
have access to the programmer, but the programmer is quite busy and
cannot devote a lot of time to solving this problem.  If anyone has any
idea what he should do to make it work better with Jaws I would
appreciate the information.  Also, if you have any suggestions for what
I can do to make jaws react more quickly and reliably  I would really
appreciate it.

I will paste the application window information below.

Focus window  Public Service Commission - Commission de la Fonction
Publique
WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.378734a
Window 4 of 38 at level 1
G:\nal\Tools\pwdNotifier.exe
590136
Visible 0 Disabled 1 Obscured 1 Transparent 0
WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.378734a
Window 1 of 3 at level 2
G:\nal\Tools\pwdNotifier.exe
524512
Visible 0 Disabled 0 Obscured 1 Transparent 0
OK
WindowsForms10.BUTTON.app.0.378734a
Window 2 of 3 at level 2
G:\nal\Tools\pwdNotifier.exe
Visible 0 Disabled 0 Obscured 1 Transparent 0
Your previous login to the PSCNet took place on July 16th, 2009 at
3:36:48 PM.

Votre authentification précédente au CFPNet a eu lieu le 16 juillet
2009
à 3:36:48 PM.
WindowsForms10.STATIC.app.0.378734a
Window 3 of 3 at level 2
G:\nal\Tools\pwdNotifier.exe
786534
Visible 0 Disabled 0 Obscured 1 Transparent 0
Public Service Commission - Commission de la Fonction Publique #32770
Window 3 of 38 at level 1 GetWindowHierarchyY returns 2
G:\nal\Tools\pwdNotifier.exe
590138
Visible 1 Disabled 0 Obscured 1 Transparent 0
OK Button
Window 1 of 3 at level 3
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
393410
Visible 1 Disabled 0 Obscured 0 Transparent 0
Static
Window 2 of 3 at level 3
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
524532
Visible 1 Disabled 0 Obscured 0 Transparent 0
Your previous login to the PSCNet took place on July 16th, 2009 at
3:36:48 PM.

Votre authentification précédente au CFPNet a eu lieu le 16 juillet
2009
à 3:36:48 PM.
Static
Window 3 of 3 at level 3
C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
655610
Visible 1 Disabled 0 Obscured 0 Transparent 0

David Farough
Application Accessibility Coordinator/coordonateur de l'accessibilité
Information Technology Services Directorate /
Direction des services d'information technologiques
Public Service Commission / Commission de la fonction publique
Email / Courriel:  David.Farough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel. / Tél:    (613) 992-2779