[jawsscripts] Re: JAWS function for generating random numbers?

  • From: "Martin Slack" <m.g.slack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JAWSScripts" <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 22:14:09 -0000

Saylien,

  A couple of years ago I wrote to this list describing a way of accessing
certain dot net classes from Jaws scripts.  It is possible to access the
System.Random class in this way, although with limitations.  I give a script
below in which repeated calls to that classes' Next () method would give a
set of pseudo random positive integers, as long as you have a dot net
framework installed on your machine.  Unfortunately, the returned range is
from 0 to MaxInt32, or 0 to 2147483647, rather than the the range of 1 to 10
which you want.  It happens that the Next () method can take an integer
parameter which limits the maximum value returned, but Jaws scripts cannot
pass an integer parameter to any object (corrections to this claim would be
welcome).  As a hack, I divide the returned value by approx one tenth of
MaxInt32.  This is not a very accurate way of limiting the returned range,
but seems on testing to give a range of 0 to 10.  Adding 1 to the returned
value at this stage would give a range of 1 to 11, but you might use a while
loop to throw away any values higher than 10 and keep calling the method
until a number in the desired range is returned.

  hth

Martin

Script test ()
Var object oRand, object oNull, int r

let oRand = CreateObject ("System.Random")
let r = (oRand.Next () / 214748365)

SayInteger (r)

oRand = oNull
EndScript