[jawsscripts] JAWS - Help with "application mode"

  • From: Steve Hendershott <shendershott@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:11:38 -0500

I have a web application that I am trying to make more accessible and I am
using JAWS 11 (and a demo version of 12) to test it. I have two issues that
I am trying to understand.
1. Jaws seems to enter "application mode" when reading my first page - but
not consistently. When it does so, keystrokes like INS+F7 to list links does
not work and the navigation seems to be different from a standards web page.

What triggers application mode? Is it the existence of javascript, or an
iframe?

2. Sometimes when in application mode and when tabbing through INPUT fields,
JAWS will start reading the entire page again. Sometimes it will tab into a
field a read just that input field. (<input type=text title="Enter
name".../>)

This application uses javascript to dynamically construct the HTML. I do not
specifically set anything (like an ARIA role) to enter this mode in JAWS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve