[jawsscripts] Re: JAWS 10 and BX

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:30:53 -0400

If you installed BX before, go to the BX option in your All Programs
menu and run the uninstaller, removing BX from all versions into which
you then want to install the update.  Then run the installer again.
Messages about an invalid installation tend to mean that there are
leftover files from a previous BX installation.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that you have something
else installed that does the same trick with default.jss that BX does.
SkypeWatch is a famous example.  If this is the case, you will have to
install manually, but it's much easier to do:  Copy the files from the
BX tree (bx.jcf, j5/bx.kmp, j5/bx.jsb, and if you like, the whole
Sounds folder) into your JAWS user folder, then just add the line

        use "bx.jsb"

to your user-folder default.jss file and recompile default.jss.  The
new line needs to go below the Use "default_fs.jsb" line, but it can
go above or below other lines like Use "skypewatch.jsb."

This, btw, is a general problem we have in JAWS with modifying default
behavior.  The proper solution would be to write a general script
installation manager that keeps track of such script chains.  Each
individual installer package nowadays that attempts to install
something into the path of a standard script, like default or Internet
Explorer, will run into this problem when it's not the only script set
that wants into that chain.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 09:20:36AM -0700, Jackie McBride wrote:
I did the manual install as suggested. I'm getting unknown calls to
AdjustJawsOptions & SayFocussedHJDialogWindow. Not good! Not good at
all! I think I'll try the automated install again, but it keeps tellin
me my installation isn't valid & it can't continue. I'm sure in a
peck. Does any1 have suggestions? They'd sure be appreciated! & TIA.

On 9/18/08, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In examining bx.js, I notice that several .jsl files are included, so
> presumably these need to be present if bx.jss is recompiled.
>
> Jamal
>
> ''On Thu, 18
> Sep 2008, Doug Lee wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:28:15 -0400
>> From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: [jawsscripts] Re: JAWS 10 and BX
>>
>> Ah yes, I put the JGauge sounds into BX at some point, though I don't
>> remember if that's in the released version.  Roy was saying to copy
>> the Sounds folder from the BX tree to the user folder.  You can do
>> with or without those.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 08:54:37AM -0400, Jamal Mazrui wrote:
>> Unfortunately, the BX installer did not work for me with JAWS 9 -- I
>> guess the problem is not related to the JAWS version though.
>>
>> Thanks for that info.  Are you saying to create a subdirectory of the user
>> script directory called Sounds?
>>
>> Jamal
>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Roy Nickelson
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:43:21 -0400
>> > From: Roy Nickelson <roylee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> > To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > Subject: [jawsscripts] Re: JAWS 10 and BX
>> >
>> > the bx installer works with JAWS 10. the steps to do a manual install
>> > are
>> > the same as jaws 9.
>> > copy default.jsb from the shared folder to default_fs.jsb in your user
>> > folder.
>> >
>> > copy the following files to your user folder for JAWS10
>> > bx.jcf
>> > bx.kmp
>> > bx.jsb
>> > sounds
>> >
>> > make a default file as follows
>> > use "default_fs.jsb:
>> > use "bx.jsb"
>> >
>> > function
>> > ;any function goes here just make sure it compiles.
>> >
>> > Roy

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at: