[jawsscripts] Re: Is optimizing a Script for just 25 keys to suffice for typing and control a PC possible?

  • From: Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:38:00 -0400

Actually, Sarah and I just managed a quick bit of work and a Skype
script release, so the example of KeyMapChangedEvent use is now
available at

http://www.dlee.org/skype/

The relevant code is near the bottom of skype.jss, and the explanation
of what it does is on the web page that comes up at the above URL, as
are download links for the scripts.

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 09:49:47AM -0400, Doug Lee wrote:
There's an undocumented or at least underdocumented KeyMapChangedEvent
in JAWS, borrowed from the PAC Mate I believe, that allows what you
might call layered keys.  This allows you to attach a script to a
sequence of keys instead of just one key or combination of keys.  I
will include a demonstration of this in my next release of the JAWS
scripts for Skype, which I hope to put out this weekend, though I've
been running into a few snags along the way lately.  There is also a
very different system of key assignments in BX, the JAWS toolbox I
released a few weeks ago.  That system allows keys to have different
meanings in different situations.  Unfortunately, there's not a lot of
documentation on that system yet either.

The two projects I mentioned can be found under

http://www.dlee.org/skype/

and

http://www.dlee.org/bx/

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:48:26PM +0200, Peter Joeres wrote:
Motivation:
For a blind friend of mine who also has problems in dealing with a standard
keyboard I have developped an alternative input device to re-enable her to use
her PC. Unfortunately this device only disposes of 25 physical keys. These are
programmable and can also simulate key combinations such as Ctrl+2 e.g. . It
now remains the task of defining a suitable and strongly optimized behaviour
for the device. Extensive use of modifier keys will be necessary, so that
standard usage of Ctrl, Alt, Shift and so on might probably not suffice.
Using another language than JAWS does not seem feasible, as deviances in the
command recognized as well as spelled aloud by JAWS on the on hand and the
command eventually sent to the system on the other hand appear likely to occur.

Problem:
I suggest about four modifier keys that can be pressed either alone or in
combination and will toggle the state of the other keys when pressed for short
period and make "permanent" change in the behaviour of the non-modifier keys
when pressed for, say, half a second.

My Question:
Up to now, we do not have any experience whether the JAWS scripting language is
capable to fullfill these requirements. Therefore, I would strongly appreciate
your appraisement, wether you think this can be implemented with the JAWS
Scripting Language.

Please contact me, if you have questions on this problem, as I might be too
much "into the problem" to see which further information is necessary.

I am grateful for any advice, alternative ideas, or even reference to functions
(even very basic ones) that might be useful in this concern.

Best Regards,
Peter Joeres

Doug Lee, Access Technology Programmer
SSB BART Group
mailto:doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done,
it was done." --Helen Keller