[jawsscripts] Re: Framing Easy CD-DA Extractor

  • From: Lennie Rinaldi <merlin739@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:19:51 -0500

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have not taken the time again to try working with frames on this program, but I should get to it later this week. I do like the idea of starting from scratch and create a new frame. I don't know why I got it to work with Easy CD-DA extractor in version 10, but I will try again. I'll let you know how I make out.

Lennie

At 07:06 PM 3/2/2008, you wrote:
lenny, though I can't help directly with a script based approach to solving
this, in troubleshooting your frame issues, have you identified that the
frame you've set up, actually correctly surrounds the area where the song
titles are being written, by attaching it to a keystorke, and continually
pressing this keystroke manually first? to see if at least this works?

when trouble shooting frames, which I've done a fair bit of, it's important
to first absolutely assure that the info is, actually contained in the frame
you've made, and that it doesn't shift, depending on various factors, one of
which might be lenth of title etc.

another thing to be really aware of when creating a frame to do things, is
what is written in both it's class and window title match criteria, found in
controlTab number 2 of the frames properties configuration dialog.
I'd suggest making a bran new frame,  if you haven't already, rather than
modifying your existing one, and, after you've made it, check to see what is
written in the match criteria, especially for the window title of the app.
e.g. only text which is constantly always in the application window
titleBar, should be included in this window title match criteria, else of
course the frame will not work. when the frame is created, a snapshot of the
window title is taken, and shoved in here, but, for example, if there's some
percentage completed info in there, which of course wil vary all the time,
this information must be eliminated from the window title criteria, so that
only what is constant, will remain as part of the match criteria.
this isn't necessarily always easy to determine, but just insure the bare
minimum of information you feel is necessary to keep it from speaking in
other circumstances,
REMAINS IN THIS VALIDATION CRITERIA.
HIT F2 TO EDIT THESE BY THE WAY.
only then will the frame ever fire, either with keystroke, or with the
feature to speak all information written to the frame.

The class information must also be right as well. though this is usually not
a problem if you make the frame for the version your working in, but might
certainly break it from working if you try and utilize a frame across
versions, where the window class of the area displaying the information you
want your frame to read, could very well have altered, and most probably
has.

tip: you can also temporarily disable either of these criteria, or add
different criteria to your frame triggering, by hitting spaceBar whilst over
each one, to toggle them off/on, as valid matching criteria.
THIS MIGHT HELP YOU TROUBLE SHOOT THE FRAME, I.E. DISABLE ONE OR OTHER OR
BOTH OF THESE, AND SEE IF YOUR FRAME WORKS WITH A KEYSTORKE. IF IT DOES, AND
STOPS WHEN YOU ENABLE ONE OR OTHER OR BOTH OF THEM AGAIN, THEN YOU KNOW
WHAT'S CAUSING IT TO BREAK.

SE BOTH al Message -----